Sign in to follow this  

Why did I get a PM about image size?

I got a PM from somebody that said this:"Please be sure and keep your screen shots no larger than 150K file size in the forum, even if they are on an outside server."What is the reason for this? I post my images on several forums, and I will not compromise image quality with heavy compression, nor am I going to create a second set of images just for posting at Avsim. So far this has not been an issue, and according to the posted rules I am not in violation, but it would be unfortunate if I am no longer allowed to post my images here.I have found only two items in the posted rules about image size, and I abide by both, being that I do not upload images here. "Images either uploaded to the server or linked to on a third party must not be any wider than 1024 pixels, and no higher than 768 pixels.""DO NOT upload images larger than 150Kb,"Anyway here's some P-40 shots(not in violation of the posted rules). And look what happens when you decide you WILL do things your own way no matter what Avsim says.... you ARE in control of what happens to your membership, go by the rules like everyone else, or you'll be gone. What will it be ?

You are not the only one that wishes we could make the file sizes bigger :-)So we are all in the same boat...just a matter of finding a way to compress them in the best possible manner.I wish they would bump it to 1024x768/250kb. I am sure they have received requests to that effect. When they are ready to increase the limit they will do so for sure.But not just yet.Great shots btw.

Guest Staggerwing

Posting Guidelines:Please do enjoy this screenshot forum and put it to maximum use. There is nothing quite like showing off screenshots of your favorite add-on, aircraft, scenery or utility to get the attention of other users but more importantly attracting other users who are thinking about getting into flight simulation.DO NOT post purely text messages to start a new topic. The only all-text messages should be followup replies to an initial post or posts from the Forum Moderators and Administrators.DO NOT link directly to images on other websites - you run the risk of violating both their EULA and copyright and also succeed in making them very unhappy. Link only to images uploaded to AVSIM or on your OWN webspace.DO NOT upload images larger than 150Kb, if you cannot manage shots under this total, you need to stop flying in those heavily populated areas and find yourself some empty sky!DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES link to images stored at the AVSIM Screen Shots forum from external websites elsewhere. It is unfair and not too cool to have us pay for bandwidth in order to fill someone else's website.DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES link to videos with music added to them

<<>>There is nothing in the forum rules stating that you cannot link to files greater than 150k. You cannot upload files greater than 150k to Avsim's server. Pictures still need to conform to the 1024x768 though.Indeed I have seen many files that exceeded 300k but have been linked externally. If this has changed in such a way that external linking, ie photobucket, is also limited to 150k, there are going to be alot of posters that have post counts in the thousands that are in violation as well.Respectfully,

Geewiz, what's so difficult to understand guys? :-hmmmThe size limit is 1024 x 768 and no larger than 150KB, that's it. Most people have no problem with image quality at those limits and though a very few have indicated they wish we would increase the file size to greater than 150KB, remember, it does eat up a lot of band width on our server."What is the reason for this? I post my images on several forums, and I will not compromise image quality with heavy compression, nor am I going to create a second set of images just for posting at Avsim. So far this has not been an issue, and according to the posted rules I am not in violation, but it would be unfortunate if I am no longer allowed to post my images here."Sorry we'll miss your future postings! :-(Steve (Bear) Cartwright :-wave

None of those rules contain what Solar did though...If I upload to Photobucket or imageshack, and post here, it's not Avsim paying for bandwidth.... and its not linking from another site, that would be like linking from an already posted photo on cnn.com or something. photobucket and imageshack are nice because they can host the images so avsim doesnt have to....I dont see what the big deal is???on another note, solar, I use Gimp 2.4 just came out and it does a nice job, with 750x or 800x600 with about 90%, give you a file under 150....gimp is freehttp://www.gimp.org/windows/oh, and yeah, what Chuck said...the rules don't say "No images over 150k allowed, even if off photobucket sites or whatever"

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yes, I have obviously read the posted rules, and there is NOTHING in the posted rules that says I cannot post images over 150k. The rules say I cannot UPLAOD images over 150k, and I do not UPLOAD images here. If you want to change the rules then feel free, until then I am not in violoation of the rules, so I would appreciate it if you stop deleteing my image tags.

>remember, it does eat up a lot of band width on>our server.How does hosting images on MY SERVER eat up bandwidth on YOUR sever???

>>How does hosting images on MY SERVER eat up bandwidth on YOUR>sever???no kidding, was wondering the same thing lol

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I think the issue is not the amount of bandwidth, but there are still people using dial-up connections which the larger file sizes just load way to slow, so I think it's a compromise to help out those people! There are still rural areas where dial up is their only real option.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

great, but what's the difference between 10 149k images (within avsim guidelines) vs. 4 good high-quality shots from our own webspace?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

>great, but what's the difference between 10 149k images>(within avsim guidelines) vs. 4 good high-quality shots from>our own webspace?You might be on to something here. How about :10 x 150 kb = 1500 kb to use as you wish :ie. 2 x 750kb or 4 x 375kbThis way we could pick our quality settings. Wonder if the server can be configured for this ?2 cents from me. :-)

Guest Fadi

SolarEagle? Eagles are supposed to have one of the sharpest eyes out there(so long as they're open). English has been my 3rd language for the past 30 years.Please do us all a favour and tell us which part of the rules you don't understand because I (as well as many others)certainly have no problem in comprehending the message.I really believe that you understand every word Stag is trying to convey to you but the problem is that you simply have a problem with it(the rules).I concur with Stag, that if you wish to do things your way, irrespective of Avsim's rules, then Avsim is simply not for you.Fadi.

Respectfully sir, the rule about file size states....DO NOT upload images larger than 150Kb, if you cannot manage shots under this total, you need to stop flying in those heavily populated areas and find yourself some empty sky!If you are not uploading the file to the Avsim server, this no longer applies. I agree that some common sense needs to be exercised in that we do not want 3 meg pictures in here but if the images are actually linked to a different server, it is up to the user to decide if they wish to wait for them to load.The rules state absolutely nothing of the file size that may be linked. Personally, I have no issue with people linking to large files...as I said, if I don't want to wait for it to load, then I hit the back button and move on.What really annoys me here is that the screenshot forum is run in frames...a real pain to look at the fullsize picture when you have to scroll.At anyrate, I still think Avsim is the best location for all of us to enjoy our hobby and we have alot to be thankful for when it come to all their hard work. Whether if we agree or disagree in the end, it is their sandbox that they allow us to play in and therefore their say.Cheers all,