Sign in to follow this  
wb5okj

trackir alternative

just to let you know about a program that has been getting some attention over on the il2 board at simhq. The program is called cam2pan and a 30-day demo can be downloaded from www.mousevision.com. It gives trackir style head panning through a standard webcam and the producers claim to have used it with il2 and fs2002. So far, however, people are having problems getting it set up properly. It has a lot of options and very brief documentation so I think it is going to take some experimentation to find the best settings. I have emailed the company and made them aware of the problems people are having so hopefully they will come to simhq and give us some help. The full program only costs $10 so if it can be setup to work reliably it may offer cheap alternative for people who cannot afford trackir. Anyone who is interested should go to the simhq il2 board and read the thread titled "trackir alternative?". As the demo is free it is worth downloading if you have a webcam and don't mind doing some experimentation. Hopefully if more people try it we may be able to get it working properly. So far I have only tested it in bob and not fs2002, however, the company's website claims that it works in fs and give a link to a file which needs to be downloaded for this.good luck bailout

Thanks for the headsup Bailout. I am on my over, via your link even as we speak. :)

Well Bailout,I downloaded the Cam2Pan, I already had the ActiveCam1.3 from AntiCyclone, so I was set, and sure enough it works in FS2002. There is a learning curve of course, and using it right now for just an hour or so I was pretty rough, but it looks like to me that it holds some real promise. I think the first problem with my setup; my webcam has too slow framerates. I finally was able to get the framerates for the camera at an acceptable level, and it works fairly well.One thing though to pan in the virtual cockpit, one has to hold the mousewheel down, if we can overcome that limitation, this will be a good program. I haven't played with this enough to determine if that limitation can be overcome yet.All in all, this is a fun program and well worth the small amount they are asking, assuming one alredy has a webcam.:-kewl