Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jet

App hold on Commander Autopilot

Guest Jet

Does anyone know the correct procedure for engaging th eapp hold on the FSD Commander autopilot.I'm usually being worked unto IAF with the hdg and alt hold engaged. then I'm cleared to intercept heading and altitude where I engage the app hold feature only to fly through the localiser and glideslope with no response.Do I have to engage the app before the glidelopeand localiser become active??Thanks all.Greg

Greg,I can't vouch for whether the Commander AP is properly modeled or not, as I do not use it, but the below procedure is the correct method..1) Early in the "vector process" tune the correct Localizer frequency and audibly ident it (morse code).2) As soon as practical during the final vector to join the localizer, usually a 30 degree intercept, arm (select) the Approach Mode. The heading mode and altitude hold mode previously selected should remain active until the course comes alive, at which time the A/P should begin an intercept of the course, and Alt hold will switch off with glide slope intercept.Finally, the speed at which you intercept is just as important in real life as in the sim. Depending on the aircraft in FS2002 you are flying, and how well the A/P is tuned make a huge impact, but largely you should be at no more than 1.5 x final vref speed for the intercept, preferably below 180 kts, as this is the max speed that you will likely be able to get a standard rate turn out of the A/P, as it will limit the bank to no more than 25 degrees.My experience with most of the A/P's in Fs2002, is that they bank too shallow on the intercept, resulting in poor intercept performance.Hope that is helpful,Tim Sanders, ATP

Guest Jet

Thanks Tim.That pretty much is what I do.Will the App. Hold capture when armed after slope and localiser become active?? They seem to not capture in my expereince when I arm afetr the needles start moving.The Commander under your exact sequence will not capture. Alt and Hdg remain active even as we fly through the localiser and right over the glideslope.I probably shouldn't complain...better to hand fly anyway...just tough during those high workload single pilot IFR down to minimum days...that is when I could use the help the most.Thanks