Sign in to follow this  
Hornit

Comparisons

I did a little excercise today. I'm wanting to like FSX and ive got it running fine but I personally dont see what the big fuss is over how much better folks think it looks over FS9. I took a few shots using basically a default sim with both and FSgenesis landclass installed. Also the shots were taken in the same locations and aspect.No edits were done. I'd like to know If folks really think that FSX is that big an improvement. I remember going from FS2002 to FS2004 and being very impressed. I almost don't like some of the so called "improvements" in this latest version. Here are my shots, please help me see what is so different from one another. In the night regime, I have to give FS9 the definite nod, the ground and urban textures in FSX are IMHO cartoonish. One other area I think is great with FSX is the hi-res ability for the ground textures, but all of the cities and town areas look over scale with their bitmaps portraying roads and features. I'd be interested in what folks think of these shots. For now, I'm sticking with FS9 for all the wonderful sceneries and aircraft which aren't broke by the latest iteration of FSX. Dont get me wrong I'm trying to like this, but I just dont see the improvements which warrant the praise. I really think its very similar on my machine with almost identical sim setups.here's the shots...EDIT: way over our size limit (Kbytes).Hornithttp://x-plane.org/home/hornit/fs9.jpghttp://x-plane.org/home/hornit/fsx.jpghttp://x-plane.org/home/hornit/fs9a.jpghttp://x-plane.org/home/hornit/fsxb.jpghttp://x-plane.org/home/hornit/fsxa.jpghttp://x-plane.org/home/hornit/fs9b.jpg

Guest leglegle

I have been flying sims since the age of 7. They saved me thousands of dollar when I got my RW pilot's license, and I constantly strive to create the most real environment possible. With that being said, I am normally chomping at the bit to get the next version, 3 months before it comes out. This time? I honestly think FS9, with add-ons is far superior. Frame rates are MUCH BETTER, satellite scenery from Tileproxy is awesome ( I know it is better in FSX, but what do I get with FSX? Lower framerates, and not really any better scenery or features), and ASV (greatest weather ever), account for the biggest draws. Not to mention, I have the most planes that I have ever had in FS9, and not all work with FSX, or I would have to repurchase some to move them. For the first time, I am totally skipping FSX. Hopefully FS11 will take us up a notch, and have the satellite scenery download in the sim itself. Then we don't need tileproxy, etc. And, it would totally eliminate one of the biggest complaints in the sim.....archaic default textures. Surely they can make an arrangment with their own company to get Virtual Earth textures downloaded into the sim upon startup (or at least have it as a menu option item so that you can choose not to have it if you don't want it.)

Guest Staggerwing

My opinion ?All your shots are over the Avsim size rule of 150K :-)Please be more careful of the rules next post, thanks

Hornit,I love your statement "I'm wanting to like FSX" as I feel exactly the same way. I share some positve FSX views regarding the sky, turbulence and icing, yet it's still somewhat cartoonish IMHO.I do like high(er) FPS as in my personal preception it gives me a more "being there" sensation of speed especially during takeoff and landing. There are so many pros and cons on both sides, yet I still believe MS didn't do a good job with the new release and (again, my personal view) I almost find FSX as dissapointing as I found FS2000 as a successor to FS98.I'm still hoping that developers won't forget about us FS9ers. I am worried that it will put more pressure on devs to go with both platforms and either develop less quality add-ons, with too many compromises or ask more money.Just some thoughts, I'm absolutely not trying to bash either sim as I love our hobby way too much.Cheers,Petehttp://members.aol.com/pzsoulman/myhomepage/logo.gifGIGABYTE Light 3D Galaxy II Liquid CoolingENERMAX Galaxy EGA850EWL ATX 850W Power SupplyNVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel MoboCore 2 Duo E6700 1066MHz FSB 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775CORSAIR XMS2 2GB SDRAM DDR2 800GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI ExpressSBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.12 x Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA Raid01 Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/sWinXP Home SP2CH Yoke/Pedals

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

That was a frame rate comparison Geofa, and it doesn't apply now as I have a Core 2 6700 at 3.0ghz. My frame rate is better but the graphic issues and image quality aren't any different even with a better video card. Funny too how the screenshots there(in the linked old thread) are the same as here! What happened is the ones I had in that thread are long ago deleted. I happened to name these new ones the same and load them to my image host site so you are seeing the same ones as you do in this post. FSX is going to go down in FS history as a dead end. They need to work a whole lot harder on something better for FS11.Hornit

I mean seriously! Look at that evening shot!!!Which one would you rather fly in???? ;)Hornit

No brainer for me Jim, FSX took away what I did want and gave me what I didn't. :)In 2008 I will be buying a new super computer for Win-XP and FS9, I have lot's of projects for FS9 next year (and flying not tweaking)I hope other developers continue to support FS9 ...certainly airport scenery wise there is still a lot to be done.Anyway it looks like there are some top notch new aircraft on the horizon for FS9 :9Merry Christmas Jim!edit* Oh my! I have just seen preview pics of Madrid and Lisbon at Aerosoft....Fly Tampa have something in the works ..Airbus's,MD-11's hopefully an AN-12.FS2008 is going to be a great if not the best ever year for FS9! :-jumpy

I agree with you Ed "Picasso", as I too tried to like FSX, but there were just too many issues with FSX for me to ever take it seriously. I've noted that a number of authors are claiming they're going to continue to support FS9 and for me that is very good news.Besides the performance issues (which I don't fault anyone here as my system is rather old and in need updating regardless), I have found that a number of seemingly small changes by the ACES team have so negatively effected the ability for me to enjoy it. Just for example: the inability to have a choice of both the 2D and 3D panels without restarting, the loss of the zoom and manual adjustment of the "spot" view, thus eliminating the ability to create screenshots like we can with FS9 and previous versions of Flight Simulator. With FSX, we no longer have the numeric keypad for use in the virtual cockpit mode to quickly display sideviews (I bet a lot of you missed that one).There are other issues, which are more subjective in nature, such as the appearance of the textures in specific parts of the world. Alaska for example, which in FSX is now a cross between Western Oregon and the Arizona desert, very strange and/or weird. The desert Southwest (Arizona, Nevada, etc.) appears to be covered in thick dirty snow rather than just plain dirt and shag-brush. For the best example, have someone post a screenshot of the Grand Canyon, very very strange appearing and certainly several steps backwards from how it appeared (default) in FS9. Steve (Bear) Cartwright

Guest Jimbofly

I see a massive improvement in the FSX shots. If you don't you're blind.

I guess I'm blind. By the way, those were pretty much default.I can gaurantee you my FS9 looks far better than the pics you see up there.Particularly it looks better at places like like Flytampa's TNCM, Seattle, Flight sceneries KPDX, etc. All in beautiful add-on aircraft and panels which are not broken. It wouldn't even be a fair comparison really to show all the fantastic sceneries I can fly and all the working add-ons I enjoy at ridiculously higher frame rates than FSX cannot do. My system? I've been doing this for over 15 years now, I can assure you I know my way around hardware.I run a Core 2/6700 at 3.2ghz, 4 G ram, Win XP pro, and a ATI Radeon 1950pro/512mb ram. It runs FS9 buttery smooth and can run FSX almost at full settings, but I choose not too. I'll be sticking with FS9 until something better comes along. This ain't it.Its all just my opinion, but If your really honest, there just isn't a whole lot of difference graphically.Hornit

>Its all just my opinion, but If your really honest, there just>isn't a whole lot of difference graphically.>>Hornit>>Have fun in whatever sim ;-)From a technical point of view the difference is huge if you can't see that or will see that well your loss ;-)I won't going to be technical but only the resolution is factor * 5 higher regarding textures and you are telling me almost no difference then your doing something serious wrong also with your system spec besides that an 1950 pro that will hold your overall system back ;-)If you don't like it thats a different story but from graphical technical point the difference is very very huge...Seriously if you can't run FSX smooth with your system specs your doing something serious wrong :-lolAnyway I just going to have fun in whatever sim ;-) http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/awf1/sign.jpg

André