Sign in to follow this  
Guest SD Sim

big dissapointment

Hi all. I am dissapointed with fs2002 and the way it looks on my computer. Now, I have seen all these nice screenshots that look superb, just wish mine looked like that, can you guys help me out?shaneYou see what I mean ?

Intel PIII 866mhz, 256mb-ram, geforce 2 mx 400 64mbI have tryed adjusting things, still no good :@

You don't really have the best computer.. but 2002 > 2000. Can't deny that.

Well, unlike some people I can't afford everything there is.Shane

Guest gasebah

Well, with your computer the only way to make it work will be to tune all the graphics settings down until you get better graphics. The reason why your pic looks so bad is that your graphics settings are aiming too high and FS2002 cannot keep up with loading textures. Enough has been said about this in this forum, but start with pushing the frame rate slider down. After that all the high detail stuff start at the left see how it looks and work your way up.Alex

Hi Shane,I've got an Athlon 800Mhz, 512mb ram and an ATI Radeon 64MB DDR so I would say our system specs are pretty comparible.There's no easy, quick fix for tweaking your system and FS2K2. I can take a guess but I'd rather ask first :-). What version of Windows are you running? Reason I ask is there are several sites dedicated to giving advice on how to tweak up your system so it would be nice to give you some links that are pertinent to your OS. One of the better places I know of for fine tuning FS2K2 is FS Gateway.com There's a tips section that covers pretty much everything from adjusting your AI traffic to setting the optimum eye view to tweaking your settings for optimum performance. There's no guarentee that many of the tips will work for you as tweaking really is a trial and error process.Like Alex mentioned, turn all your sliders down then start moving them up one at a time untill things start looking better. It's a slow process but in the end, it'll be worth it!! :-)Mikehttp://www.members.shaw.ca/madamo/boeingsig.jpg

Guest P3_Super_Bee

What you are seeing is the result of "mipmapping" I have an even more modest system than you and I get good sharp textures. like people have posted above try turning down the settings until you getsharp default textures. Then one by one turn up your settings leavingyour "target frame rate" fairly low say around 15 FPS to start with.Trust me you CAN get nice clear textures it just may take a littleplaying around. Flight sims in general are the most demanding picesof software you will run on your machine (far more so than most other"games") due the the amount of textures and poly's that your card must draw every frame. Dan

Thanks for the help in this, I have been changing the cfg a little and my textures are sort of better, if you would like to talk to me about it live, my msn messenger is extreme3d1@hotmail.comShane

Guest flightpro08

You should be able to get a good looking picture on that system..I was flying with a Celeron 800 and Geforce2MX 32 meg card and it worked fine..What operating system and what level drivers are you using? Win 98SE and 12.41 drivers worked very well for me..First of all, does FS recognize your video card and is hardware acceleration active under options/settings/display?Start by setting display settings to "medium" globally, turn off reflections, water effects, and AI aircraft, select 1024x768x32 resolution.For your display card, under properties set mipmapping to "best quality".Experiment with forcing Antialiasing to 2x.You should be getting a good display and about 15-25 fps in normal flight..

Bert

Don't forget to turn on distance terrain textures - MS will default it off on a machine with your specks.

Kind of PO'd to see all the people dissin' your system, as if it's the end of the world. It's always easier for folks to spend someone else's money. But truth is, you don't have to spend a dime more to enjoy FS2002. I have a P3/800, a GeF 2/Ti, 256 megs RAM and 98SE, and I get good performance and visuals. These two links show my typical results, at an average of 25fps...http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID47http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID47How do I do it?a) I turn off AI unless I plan on flying the pattern or in heavy traffic. AI aircraft eat up textures and fps, and can cause blurries and poor performance on slower systems. When I do fly with AI, I turn the vis. down to 30 miles or less to compensate.:( I've stripped my system of all startup programs, other than the system tray. The run, runonce, and runservices registry entries are empty on my system. Same goes for the win.ini startup entries, and the startup folder itself. Programs running away in the background while FS2002 is running eat up cpu resources. Blurry textures can be the result.c) I leave Autogen off unless I plan on playing around in an ultralight. Like AI, Autogen eats up fps and textures. Above 5000 ft, I prefer the cleaner look of Autogenless textures.d) Water reflections and detail I leave off. Cute to look at, but I prefer flight over land.e) I limit my screen resolution to 800x600x32. Looks fine to me, and I believe my screenshots show that as well.f) I use Rivatuner, and I use it to enable anisotropy, and to set my LOD to -.5. I've looked at some of my earliest FS2002 shots and I cringe at how blurry they are. The Rivatuner adjustments made a world of difference. In addition, I have Antialiasing enabled in FS.All other settings are maxed in FS2002. Max mesh, scenery detail, texture detail (both land and aircraft). I turn A/C reflections on for some aircraft, and off for others. The MU-2 from Simubuild works great with reflections, but other aircraft are performance killers.One other bit of advice--there is a whole world to explore in FS2002. Many folks get stuck in a rut--they fly around ORD, or ATL, or LA--highly detailed cities that ask the most of FS2002. I enjoy flying over Florida, or over Colorado, or over St. Louis. I see nice scenery, and get great performance. Today, I flew the Ariane 737 realtime from Phoenix to ORD, then ORD to JFK. I refueled at JFK, then flew nonstop to Caracas. The highlight of the trip--flying over the Dominican Republic, about an hour out of Caracas. The coloring of the water was very much like a real flight I'd taken on the same route back in '90.You can get more from FS2002, and you can become so addicted that you invest an entire Sunday, like I did today on my 4000 mile plus journey...Good Luck and Regards,-John