Sign in to follow this  
Guest SD Sim

big dissapointment

Hi John!I will have to try you're advice out, and where abouts do I get this Rivatuner ? I have windows 98se, and I don't know alot about this stuff when it comes into technical issues, Do you have any Instant messanger we could talk on, I would like to know how you set your rivatuner up, i think i have looked at it once before, but got scarred off.Shane

windows 98senot sure about drivers, 32.82 maybe ?shane

Firts go to display and try cheching mipmapping and antialiasing. If picture stays the same try unchecking. Make sure extended textures is checked.Make sure you read Paul01's posts (they are anchorded in the Hardware section). Below is an excerpt:Be aware, adjustments resulting in better image quality will almost always result in decreasing performance. But that

Guest cwright

It looks like an extreme case of dynamic blurred textures. It occurs because, for some unknown reason, FS2002 updates texture mip maps *very* slowly, depending on the system. It gets worse in mountainous terrain, so it's surprising to see it so bad over flat terrain. You can see that the texture to the right is blurred, but in the square to the left it is even more blurred. It's blurred because FS has failed to update the resolution. Of course if it was working properly only more distant squares would be blurred to that extent - and being in the distance it wouldn't matter very much. I don't believe there's any complete cure (apart from buying a new computer!) but the best two improvements can be obtained by: 1. Reduce the terrain complexity setting (though it will tend to make more distant hills look like pyramids). 2. Use the lowest frame rate lock that you can. I use 16 FPS. Best regards, Chris

Here's a link to Rivatuner:http://www.guru3d.com/files/rivatuner/There's a post in this forum suggesting that you change FS2002.cfg. Unless you have 384 megs of RAM or more, I suggest avoiding that change. Back when the FS2002.cfg changes were first posted, I tried them out. I'd fly alright for about an hour, then I'd get a very pronounced stutter. I suspected RAM, and I was right. I did some comparisons, and I found that the "tweaked" FS2002.cfg was using 40 megs more RAM. Moreover, the usage went up about 20 megs an hour, eventually taking my system down to the swap file threshold. Results were always consistent--untweaked FS2002.cfg, no RAM penalty. Tweaked FS2002.cfg, RAM penalty.And having seen yet another comment by someone suggesting that your system isn't up to snuff, all I can say is: hogwash! Quite a few of us can run FS on slower systems. And it runs a heck of a lot better than FS2000 ever did. I wish folks would quit spreadin' the "Upgrade to a 2+ GHZ manure" Sure, it'd improve FS performance. But so does a good, clean bare bones system with a few small compromises in setup.Back to this response--I'm sorry I don't have any of the chat applets... Installing Rivatuner is a breeze. I forgot to recommend in the earlier post something very important:Did you install the GeF MX as an upgrade to an existing graphics card? When I first purchased FS2002, I had a terrible case of dynamic blurries. I found that I had some dll's that were still loading for my previous graphics card. It was a chore to clear that up, but I eventually did. Performance improved quite a bit. I can now pass the "F-16" test...namely, buzzing the deck at 800kts with only minimal blurring. Prior to my graphics driver cleanup, I couldn't even fly at 400kts without the textures fading on me...-John

Guest SD Sim

Hi Shane,Two things. First, I agree with the moral(?) minority here - your system is just fine, and doesn't account for your problem. Second, you posted a shot in windowed mode. Certainly on my system if I run windowed mode, and anything else is running, the dynamic blurries can become intolerable. A simple fix is to run in full-screen mode. So if you've only been flying in windowed mode, try switching to full-screen.

I have the same card. I suggest you go to guru3d.com and download the 29.42 driver set. It works well with this card. Also, while the blurries have been a problem for almost everyone, you can improve them somewhat by simply pressing the "5" key on your keypad and holding that view for about 20 seconds. usually, the images will snap back into sharper focus...and remain relatively sharp for a while...one more note, if you have not done so, download any of the landclass scenery additions you can find and install them. They add more detail at no additional cost in frame rates...which reminds me...set your frames to a max of 16. you will still get acceptably smooth visual motion, but your cpu will not be working too hard and can allocate resources to other fs2k2 needs.hope this helps a little bit.sherm