Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

FS2002.CFG

I know I have seen it on here before and I have done a search but I still cant find it.I am talking about the editing you do the FS2002.CFG file to get rid of the blurries--you change several different settings in the [terrain] area.Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,Carl

i'm not an expert [ "expert"= ex--hasbeen pert[pronounced"spurt]" -- a drip under pressure] but i don't think you can edit your way to more cpu's. if you read back over older threads you'll notice that most of the folks who seem to be knowledgeable say that processor speed is the biggest key to combating blurries. but keep fiddlin' 'cause we learn by tryin' tom t

Hi Carl,Check out the thread still on this page entitled:"Riva Tuner settings: anyone want to share?"As an interesting aside I noted the other day that the LOD and Anisotropy tweaks work on the GeForce 256 DDR with the 12.90 WHQL drivers. My neighbour called me round as he, like many of us, was frustrated by the blurries and consequently was using the sim less and less. It's all too easy to forget what the out-of-the-box visuals looked like but what I saw reminded me all too well how awful the sim can appear.I wasn't sure whether RivaTuner would do the job with his card but neither of us was disappointed with the results. He has a humble AMD 700MHz with the GeForce 256 DDR and coupled with lowering the LOD from 0 to -0.1 the transformation was astounding! Admittedly you can only force level 2 Anisotropy but even that was VERY worth while. He was delighted and I went away well chuffed I had been able to renew his enthusiasm for the sim.In FS2002.cfg I suggest you try adjusting the last three lines of the TERRAIN section:TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=4.800000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=2TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=5.500000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=8.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=3I take no credit for these settings. I followed Paul's (PaulL01) advice some time ago - it saved a lot of experimenting! Paul has done a great deal of very careful work on this issue and I am sure other's will agree we all owe him a great debt of thanks.Please note: Don't try to combine the LOD settings as tweaked by RivaTuner (downloadable at www.guru3d.com) with the 'Best Quality' setting through Windows Display Properties. The latter will just set the LOD back to 0 (zero)!Mike :-waveTip: If you want to enhance your experience further I suggest a visit to FScene and get hold of Ruud Faber's replacement ground textures for Europe and USA+Canada. You do have to pay for them but you won't regret the outlay, I can assure you. They are a visual feast for all us VFR fliers.http://www.home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/rfaber/Ruud has clearly put in a remarkable effort and richly deserves the recognition. His textures combined with the appropriate LandClass files make a world of difference to the realism of the sim. I have never been so enthusiastic about anything since Lennart Arvidsson's superb replacement ground textures for FS2000. Lennart, however, provided his work to the community free of charge and I am sure his name will also remain forever in the flight simming halls of fame.

Thanks,That is exactly what I was looking for. This little trick has helped with my setup like you wouldn't believe. I have a high-end system, a P4 2.53, 512K PC 2700DDR, with a Geforce 4 TI4600 and I was still having a lot.....I mean A LOT of blurries. I tried this little trick and "WHAM" there gone. The sim looks great! I am still using the 40.41 drivers, as they seem to work best for my setup.Thanks for your help.Carl

Actually, I just found what I am using in my FS2002.CFG to get the best looks and results.Try it if you like it and results may vary.All in all, I am very satisified with the my performance and looks now.Thanks,Carl[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=14.110000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=60.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=40.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4

>All in all, I am very satisified with the my performance and looks now.When all is said and done that's all that really matters :)Glad to have been able to help.Mike :-wave

OOPS... i don't mind being wrong when being wrong is helpfull,. i tried carls settings and they DO improve the visuals. thanks , carl, for helping an old warhorse to see the errors of his ways. tom t