Sign in to follow this  

Milton Shupe's/team Dash 7 nav2 DME and Taxi Speed

I have both the passenger and cargo versions-fantastic! The Nav 2 DME gauge works just fine in the passenger version, but not in the cargo version-no hot spot to turn it on! Also, when taxing both aircraft continue to increase speed even with my throttle at idle-have to keep appling the brakes, is this how it should be or is my calibration out of whack? Thanks for any help, David

Hi,I'm not quite sure if that's a real behaviour on the Dash7, but I know it is normal on some other turboprops, as the ATR: taxiing is often done on one engine. I've watched an ATR42-300 (one of the lower powered of the series) starting up both engines and then releasing the brakes. It literally jumps forward as soon as brakes are released. The problem is that FS2002 has two defects that make the problem worse: First, when starting the engines by Ctrl+E, FS2002 leaves the condition levers in high idle position (on the Dash7 -as in my ATR's- there is an idle gate lever to switch between high and low idle, make sure you put it in low idle for taxiing). Secondly, the ground-tire friction is sooooo badly modelled, that a lot of power is needed to overcome the initial resistance, but the friction drops a lot as soon as the aircraft moves, making it quite difficult to taxi at low speed.Apart from this, check if your throttle is correctly calibrated at zero. FSUIPC can help a lot.Hope this helps,Pacosailplane.jpgStultorum numerus infinitus est.

Guest SD Sim

For the Dash-7c, I stumbled onto this fix for the excessive idle speed by accident - just deploy the flaps. Worked like a charm for me.

Guest Milton

I might add that the spoilers should always be deployed for ground operations. THis is an automatic feature of the real world Dash 7. Spoilers up should help.Milton

As this was my first post, I want to thank you all for responding-Paco, David and Milton. Much better now with taxi speed, did not think of the spoilers!!! David, sounds as you have the Dash-7 cargo, could you possibly confirm the Nav 2 DME gauge is working? Thank You, David

The DME2 shouldnt turn on or off as the earlier version did. We seem to be having a lot of crashes related to the gauge,in testing, so we replaced it!Also have found...I use a CH prod's yoke...If I pull the "mixture" lever on the yoke back about halfway, the Dash will sit there at an idle, with the P-Brake on! Wonder if this would work using the FS Key command for "leaning the mixture" (yea...I know...there is no "mixture" on a turbine, but the lever seems to act on the turbine models in FS)Scott

Guest FS_freak

Hi Milton & Co.,I am still very impressed by your Dash 7 but I was a bit dissapointed by the cargo version probably because it took me a long time to download and I also had a heck of a time zipping it into a panned set of disks to carry home from work. Fact is I installed the cargo version and then created mipmaps using image tool, something I do often given my Voodoo 3500 card. That had worked fine on the passenger version: nice crisp textures. However none of the cargo liveries shows up right. They are all blurred out except for the tail logos. I know I can D/L 16 and 8bit textures for this version but I did not have to do so for the passenger 7. Why now?Aside from the texture issue I couldn't get the water spray effects to work. I copied all the effects to the FS2002/effects folder. I already had a texture folder inside my FS2002/effects folder so I copied all the textures from the effects/texture folder that comes with the Dash7, to the effects/texture folder in my FS2002 directory. Started my (blurred) Dash 7 in a wet surface and confirmed on the annunciator panel a "Wet Asphalt" sign. Then I started rolling all the way to 90kts without any signs of water effects. I also tried landing on this wet runway to no avail. What am I doing wrong?Finally I also miss the selectable Nav2 DME as well as the switches on the overhead panel which have been replaced by the annunciator panel. There is a button on the new panel to the left of the "IFR" button that crashes my sim when pressed. I think it says "NAV" or "FAV" (17" monitor on 1024 x 768 res).One last question. If I ever figure out how to alias the passenger version to the cargo version, does the double sloted rudder work on the passenger 7?Sorry for the inconvenience but I really don't want to miss out on this otherwise excellent proyect.Maurice

>Aside from the texture issue I couldn't get the water spray >effects to work. The cabfile reference to the gauge in the Panel.cfg file needs a small change from D7! to Annun!.Open the panel.cfg file with a text editor like Notepad and look in sections:Window00 for Gauge 125 and :CHANGE FROM gauge125=D7!Surfacefx, 775,20,5,5TOgauge125=Annun!Surfacefx, 775,20,5,5Then scroll down to Window05, Gauge 80 and:CHANGE FROMgauge80=D7!Surfacefx, 777,279,5,5TOgauge80=Annun!Surfacefx, 777,279,5,5>I installed the cargo version and then created mipmaps using image toolDid you try it WITHOUT the mipmap textures before you changed them? I may be wrong here but I seem to recall that in the beta testing we found that the blurry problem was because of the mipmaps.

Scott, Now I am a really very happy Pilot!! As I could not turn the Nav 2 DME on I never tried to enter a freq. works fine. Regarding the taxi speed, Paco's comment on the idle gate lever solved my issue (maybe the same thing you are saying) and flaps/spoilers helped too. I just love flying this aircraft! Thanks, David

Guest FS_freak

Brian,Thanks for your advise. Will do as soon as I get home. As for the texture issue I did try to load the Dash7 before creating mipmaps. Wings and engine nacelles pitch black and fuselage blurred out. This has happened before on many freeware aircraft including the passenger Dash7. Always fixed it by creating mipmaps. I had only encountered blurred textures AFTER creating mipmaps on the PA A320 (left wing texture) and now the DHC7 cargo :-( Maurice

Guest FS_freak

Ok guys, I thing I got various issues nailed down. As Milton suggested in another thread, I ended up creating one dash 7 folder and sticking all the texture folders, passenger and cargo, in it. Same with sound and panel folders as well as the aircraft.cfg and Dash7.air from the cargo version. I left both the model.cargo folder and the model folder from the passenger version inside the unique Dash7 folder. After modifying the aircraft.cfg accordingly, my passenger Dash7's showed up nice and crisp with the updated panel (overhead functional) and the spray effects working perfectly. The cargo 7's also showed up still all blurred out. I think a new panel.cfg file with the sprayfx and overhead panel fixes is long overdue, specially for those folks with less knowledge on tweaking these files or who don't have access to this forum.Afterwards I tried to modify my aircraft.cfg file to direct the passenger versions to the model.cargo folder. I wanted to see if I could get the prop transition fix and the double hinged rudder to work on the passenger version. Much to my surprise the textures of the three passenger versions ended up blurring out completely, just as the cargo versions have. Directing the passenger 7's back to the original model folder brought back the sharp textures. This means that the blurred textures don't have anything to do with the textures themselves but with something inside the mdl file that comes with the cargo version. I'll leave the rest to the experts. BTW, is there a shortcut to get the double hinged rudder and smooth prop transition to work on the passenger 7's?Thanks again and sorry for the inconvenience.Maurice

Hi Guys,A seperate issue: Has anyone had problems with the sound. My sound is quite scratchy!! I have the soundblaster 16 soundcard. Any help to here the proper sound would be helpful.. Thanks Larry