Sign in to follow this  
DadJokeCinema

New Product Notices

Guest tg272

>If we're going to have English lessons here, then I'd like to>point out that according to the Compact Oxford English>dictionary "whit" is a noun meaning a very small part or>amount or is an abbreviation from Whitsuntide.>>The phrase you wanted is "to wit" which that dictionary>defines as "that is to say" derived from "that is to wit">meaning

Almost 300 years ago the Secretary to the Commissioners of Excise in England wrote to the Supervisor of Pontefract saying:"The Commissioners on persual of your diary observe that you make many uses of affected phrases and incongruous words all of which you use in a sense that the words do not bear. I am ordered to acquaint you that if you hereafter continue that affected and schoolboy way of writing, and to murder the language in such a manner, you will be discharged for a fool."That's as true now as it ever was.

Guest tg272

>Almost 300 years ago the Secretary to the Commissioners of>Excise in England wrote to the Supervisor of Pontefract>saying:>>"The Commissioners on persual of your diary observe that>you make many uses of affected phrases and incongruous words>all of which you use in a sense that the words do not bear. I>am ordered to acquaint you that if you hereafter continue that>affected and schoolboy way of writing, and to murder the>language in such a manner, you will be discharged for a>fool.">>That's as true now as it ever was.And you certainly should know.:-violin

Guest kilotango

As an outsider of the english language, and all the corners in it, this now seems to me as a fight of words, not of menings or opinions!I understand most of it, but when i have to look in my directionary several times when reading, i just get lost.Can i ask. Where are the point of this? Where are you going? And what will you use all this for?...Stupid questions maybe, but then i'm a stupid outsider.Cheers

Guest tg272

Quite right, killtango. I am asking in all fairness to just let this topic drop by the wayside. It's obvious to me that due to Tom's silence over the past week or so that he already has. But what I didn't realize is that because of his silence others have found it necessary to come to his side and stand up for the AVSIM banner and Tom's tremendous work. That's unfair to me, period, because I didn't do or say anything that directly criticized him -- or even AVSIM for that matter except for the way I felt it handled "some" of it's news releases. That is ALL.I used the word "betrayed". Bad choice of words, I admit that that. I would have phrased it differently thinking back, but I'm not apologizing for it. Why should I? It isn't "that" abusive at all. Yes, the word has many meanings when used in various context, but I meant that I felt led astray. And that is a legit meaning of the word.Tom, I made one comment about you taking me to task when you said that I "really do not know what you want other than that AVSIM should protect you from your purchasing decisions". No, I do know what I want and yes, I think AVSIM has a responsibility here, but not nearly to the extent that you think I mean. I'm sorry, Tom, if I ruffled your feathers (although I have much greater respect for you than that), but I'm asking you to just put a stop to this thread...right now. It's gone on far too long, and people are saying things that I believe they don't really mean and certainly wouldn't say if we we all in the same living room together. It's just too easy to let this kind of thing get out of hand. I know you are altogether too familiar with this in these forums.Beyond a simple case of misuse of the English language, I do not deserve to be raked over the coals like this. If AVSIM cares as much about my freedom to express myself as it does about expressing its responsibilities to its readership and members, then at least give me the courtesy of respecting my viewpoint whether you believe it to be right or wrong. I sense very strongly that you do feel as I do on this, so I'm asking you to now monitor this thread out of existence. The individuals that participated may hate my guts (I'm really a very nice guy, BTW, and have contributed to our hobby greatly over that past six years), it's their choice. I'm sure we'll all get along just fine after this is left alone for awhile. Cheers,Barthttp://acquiry.com/picts/BartMig110_sml.jpg