Sign in to follow this  
brandon

What is the best Defrag. Package for XP?

Hey Gang!Can anyone suggest a good disk dfragmenting package for Windows XP?Thanks for any help!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullerthttp://www.aavirtual.com/images/aav205_banner.gif[/img]

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Lots of different opinions on that one Dennis. Actually, unless you have some unusual circumstance, the one that comes with XP isn't bad. (The default XP defrag is a cut-down version of Diskeeper). All that being said, most of us technogeeks just can't let well enough alone, so.....I've tried O&O, Vopt, SpeedDisk, Diskeeper, and PerfectDisk at one time or another and, personally like the ease of use and simplicity of system-file handling found with PerfectDisk. My XP drives are all FAT32 (because of dualbooting Win98) so I can't speak to how any defragger does with NTFS. You can get more info and a trial version of PerfectDisk 2000 from http://www.raxco.com/ .Trip

Hi Dennis,I use Norton Speed Disk on my XP machine, and find it far better than the native XP defrag. Probably because it is much faster with it's defrag process. I'm not sure which one does a better job at defragmenting, but with an 80GB drive, speed seems to get my attention more than anything, therefore Norton Speed Disk gets the nod from me.Regards,Gord NoseworthyNewfoundland, Canada (CYYT)

>Hey Gang! >>Can anyone suggest a good disk dfragmenting package for >Windows XP? >>Thanks for any help! >>Sincerely, >>Dennis D. Mullert >Diskeeper for `NTFS partitions' is the best and most thorough. Have been using it ever since NT 3.51 came out in 1994 or 1995. It never `hosed' my data. The latest version works fine in Xp .. but if you have your OS on a large 40GB drive .. be careful running the boot-time reorganization. If the files needed to start Xp have been moved beyond the limit (4GB I think) that the BIOS can address .. then the machine will not start. Then you will need to run the recovery or repair utility (good excercise).Do not be affraid of this .. since NT or Xp should be on it's own 4BG partition with data and apps on other partitions .. or other physical drives that is. Opps .. stop me here from going on a discussion of a multiple SCSI drive sub-system!!Cheers...