Sign in to follow this  

Real World and Flaps

Guest Jet

OK, in high performance singles, are you guys going to full flaps on short final?My hought is carying a little extra speed and approach flaps instead of full flaps never hurts (as long as you have ample runway) to combat wind/shear and aborted landing...quicker transition to climb-out as oppossed to raising up full flaps??Any thoughts??I have been reading some pros in the Flying mags are admitting to limited use of Full flaps. Thanks,Greg

Guest SoarPics

Hi Greg,It's all about energy management. When I was active flying gliders and sailplanes I almost always carried a few extra knots to the threashold.It all depends on the situation... if you're high (for whatever reason) during final, then maybe you'll be looking for full flaps... and an anchor lol. But if your energy state is low during final, you might be looking at the first notch of flaps. The first priority should be managing power to make a quick (and painless) getaway if required. What you do with the flaps after that is entirely up to you... and your flying skills.Just concentrate on flying the numbers (Vspeeds). Use the flaps as required.Hope this helps,

A high performance single will also usually have a constant speed prop. This prop can be effectively used as an airbrake which makes quite a difference in how fast you can drop altitude..........which will also make a difference in flap usage.L.Adamson

Depends somewhat on winds and turbulence as well. My instructor typically taught me that if you're getting bounced around alot it is better to carry a few extra knots on final and, if you can, to land with fewer flaps. I remember one particularly bumpy day when I was soloing to get some pattern work in and I never used more than 10 degrees of flaps set that day. Anyway, hope this helps ya!