Sign in to follow this  
blave

Off-subject: LED Flashlights...

Guest Twister

Hi,I know that this is totally off-subject but I thought that I could get some advice and guidance.I am contemplating the eventual purchase of a LED flashlight.I generally don't fly at night so night vision is not an issue.There are many models to choose from, all claiming to be the best on the market...I'd like your opinions if you've had any experience with LED flashlights.ThanksTwister

Im interested in anyone who has had experience with them also. I think there was one rated in the latest issue of AOPA or Consumer Reports, Im not sure which. The bulb life is supposed to far surpass regualar flashlights and be much easier on the batteries, but of course these are claims I got from the companies. :)Craig

Guest Eagle92395

I use a red LED light for astronomy due to it not harming night vision. It has 2 white LED's to help when you pack up for the night and they are great I think. Very "clean" light and nice diffuse area.

Guest Eagle92395

You can find the one I use at www.scopetronix.com . It's a Rigel Systems Skylite. Very nice I think.

Guest Twister

Thanks everybody !The input is very much appreciated.Ideally, the flashlight should be made of aviation-grade aluminum, it should have anywhere between 5 to 20 LED ((preferably emitting white light)- be dependable, rugged ...and of course : BRIGHT !any suggestions are more than welcome.Twister

Guest Twister

Nice model with impressive specs.I couldn't understand the arabic words on the advert...(perhaps I should ask Saddam to translate...)I wish that kind of flashlight could be manufactured in Aluminum as well...I personally dislike plastic products (it feels a bit Cheapo)I know that modern polymers are excellent...still, I can't bring myself to like that material...Twister

I've got two. The first one was just a $10 Brinkman from Wal-Mart. I've had it over a year and I'm still on the batteries that it came with. I later bought another Brinkman for $12 that came with changeable lenses (Red, Yellow, Blue), that I keep in my flight bag.Just last night we had some bad storms, and the power was knocked out. I had both of them running for 4 hours straight.The bulb is said to last 11 years of continuous use, and it suposedly gets 30 days of continuous use on two AA batteries.

Guest Tim13

Eagle,Astronomy huh? I'm into that also, what type of scope do you have?Tim13

As my wife can confirm, I have a Flashlight Jones and am always looking for the latest cool thing...I have the (extremely expensive) Inova flashlight - made out of polished aluminum and bright enough to hurt. The mfr's web site is "under construction" (and has been for months) but here's a reseller link:http://www.flashlightavenue.com/inova.htmlI paid $40 for it which I thought was outrageous, but on the web they seem to be even more. Search for "inova x5" and maybe you'll find a better deal. Basically it can be thought of as a MagLite that uses LEDs instead of the grain o' wheat bulb. It has the same o-ring-sealed, twist on/twist off setup. It's OK, but I think it's too expensive for what it is. (Unless you just gotta have that brushed aluminum.) It appears that they've updated it since I got mine.But enough about that... The killer flashlight of the month is the one that I just bought at Target... It's a new product by Energizer, so new that I can't find it on their site. It is a headband model, but unlike their old incandescent one, this model uses LEDs. It has a white light mode, using two "white" LEDs, and a red light mode that uses one read LED. The part that contains the LEDs is on a hinge, so that it can be tilted up and down - perfect for IFR flying. As I found out last night, it's also nice for rummaging around in the garage looking for something 8^) .I fly a very nice (rental) 2002 Cessna 172SP that has great lighting - at least compared to the older Cessnas - but it falls down on providing a night-friendly light that is situated so that the pilot can see his approach charts and stuff. I think this product is the ticket for that, and it was only $15.00. It takes three AAA batteries and the stated battery life is (!) 50 hours. My only criticism is that I wish the headband had a little bit more length.Product info: "Energizer LED Essentials"; HD33A1EN; SKU # 39800 05467. http://www.energizerflashlights.com; 800-383-7323.One final note: Sharper Image has some nice LED flashlights as well... Dave BlevinsKRHV

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack