Sign in to follow this  

Anyone familiar with ProGress Systems Inc computers?

I am in the market for a new computer. Recently I came across ProGress Systems Inc. of Lakemoor Illinois. http://www.progresssystemsinc.com/index.htmlThey offer what appear to be very powerful systems at extremely competitive prices [maybe too good?!]. For example, this is their top of the line system:Cheetah-Lightning fast! Intel 2.53GHz 533Bus Abit BD7 II RAID 1 AGP, 5PCI, ATA1331024MB PC2700 DDRATI 9700 Pro 128MB120GB 7200 RPM IBM hard driveOnboard LANSoundBlaster Audigy GamerLite-On 52x24x52 CD-RWLite On 16X DVD3COM 56 V.92 hardware modemRaidmax Exonic Window case & light 320Watt power supply 2 fansKeyboardMicrosoft Intellimouse Explorer1.44MB floppyAltec Lansing 5 piece speaker set 1 year warrantyPrice: $1799.00 [plus shipping]They offer a range of systems from basic to the above described system.Has anyone out there had experience with this group? Any comments appreciated.Rick

I've not heard of them, but the specs sound good for the price. I like the fact that the MB is mentioned, as many PC makers use proprietary MB's--one of the reasons I started building my own systems.One thing you want to be certain of is that no refurbished/returned parts are being used--get that in writing, if you can. In the field I've run into clients who've picked up PC's who were experiencing part failures way out of the norm. Some local shops are as bad as used car dealers, so you really have to investigate and, if possible, contact the local Better Business Bureau and see what type of complaint record the shop has. Should it pass the test, I'd say you're looking at a good deal. -John

Guest ccgr

Thank you for inquiring and/or checking out our site. I found out about this forum post through hit tracking by the way. Scary eh? I can assure you of our being upfront about anything that would not be what you expect. As an example, on one customer's PC, we had to change the case. The buyer knew everything that was happening when we did. We believe in being fair and honest with our customers because that is how we would want to be treated. We use new parts and wouldn't send out anything we wouldn't be comfortable using ourselves.We're listed in resellerratings.comhttp://www.resellerratings.com/seller3533.htmlI hope this helps and thanks for considering us.Cheryl Gress PresidentProGress Systems Inccheryl@progresssystemsinc.com if you have any questions

Does that include shipping/OS? Just FWIW, components(minus OSpricewatch info)about $1500 shipped if you want to build yourself. Heard Intel(followed certainly by AMD)cut CPU prices today. May not reflect for a week or so though.

Guest ccgr

No the OS is not included but Linux can be installed for free.be careful with Pricewatch check the reseller on resellerratings.com before ordering. My aunt got jipped by edgemicro on pricewatch. The CPU price cut happened yesterday and the prices do reflect that. We use retail intel CPUs that get the 3 year warranty and certified fans. Plus with pricewatch you don't get warranties usually. I offer a 1 year warranty on parts. So if you want to do it your self, there is pricewatch, put for support and part guarantee you have our company. :)

Was told that for years with Dells and Gateways also. As with anything, your mileage may vary Just suggesting that if he wants to save a few $$$, doityourself is the way to go(though the gap is closing). If your buying from someone else for tech support, you'll find all the techs you need on the net. If your buying for warranty, also beware, many of these warranties are limited and cover certain parts only, my sister found that out.The CPU price cut happened yesterday and the prices do reflect that.Many times these cuts will cause price wars among vendors, waiting a couple of days may save more $$$.Not trying to bad-mouth your Co., just offering some options. There's a lot of great deals out there right now. My suggestion, if your not comfortable building it yourself, is to shop around for the best deal you can get.:-)

As a "do it yourself" builder, and as a network tech and instructor, I do want to set the record straight.Manufacturer's warranties will apply to all the components purchased by a builder, some going well beyond 1 year. What people pay for when buying prebuilt systems is support and convenience and sometimes purchasing power. Not everyone is a tech, or has the time. Others feel comfortable having someone there to hold their hand when something goes awry. And some retailers can combine components at a better pricing structure than do-it-yourselfers, due to their ability to buy in volume and pass the savings on to the consumer. But I feel anyone who has installed memory, or an add-on card, or a DVD player....can build their own system. I've taught ten year olds to do it, and I've taught one woman who was closing in on eighty. As for price, sometimes a prebuilt system is less expensive, sometimes more--all depends on what you have on hand. My current system was built from parts I cannibalized from an old HP box, along with new components. State of the art then, I was able to complete it with a budget of around $700.00--retail the same setup went for $2000.00. You can save quite a bit by scrounging for parts.. My CD drive for instance is five years old. My 3.5 inch "floppy" has been in three different PC's I've owned. It still churns away after ten years. My monitor is going on five years now, same with my speakers, etc.... I have no problem with used parts, if I'm the one that's used 'em :)I think what a user gains by building a system is freedom from support...knowing how to build and maintain a system can help a user understand and cope with any issue. And that frees them from the support overhead factored into almost every retail system's price. I'm not knocking retail, it has its place and my first few systems were retail. But common sources of misinformation are statements made regarding warranties, etc.... No one should be steered away from building it yourself thinking the warranty is going to be any less than what the component manufacturer offers. And same goes for support...component mfrs. offer their own support. Retailers may centralize the process, but in essence often only serve as middlemen. Last factor for building it yourself vs. retail--what's time worth? It took me an hour to build my system, another 30 minutes to add the O/S and basic driver support. But purchasing the components took a day...researching the best prices, visiting the shops that had what I wanted, etc.... For some, a day's worth of time is several hundred dollars... For others, it's a Saturday with no College football. All depends on perspective :)-John

Guest ccgr

As for support I do warranty all ahrdware for a year. I don't warranty the OS. I can't help it if people delete files. With Windows XP I send it out unactivated so if they don't like the way it's setup they can reinstall it.Most hardware is warrantied for a year anyways. Hard drives used to carry a 3 year warranty but they jacked up their prices and cut it down to 1 year. oh well :( Retail CPU's still have 3 year warranty provided you don't over clock them (as if they can tell).But parts taht generally don't cary warranties are things like power supplies, floppy drives etc.In all honesty I cannot compete with hard drive pricing, I can't top rebate offers. Price Watch well some of those vendors sell stuff cheaper than I can get them! Makes me wonder where they get stuff. You have to be careful often times tose low prices are refurb. Anyways my biggest selling point is quality parts and good service.nice forums BTW. :D

Great advice Cheryl.I always recommend visiting Resellerreatings.com to anyone thinking of buying online, to see if they can find the vendor they are about to throw money at! :)Pricewatch is only good (imho) for checking the ballpark prices of the stuff you want, so you can see if your favorite vendor

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Guest ccgr

My company is just starting out so it will take me a while to build up the reseller ratings. But I'll try! Thanks for the compliments.This is a nice community here. Although I really have not played Flight Sims I responded to some technical posts. I have a Game Review site that popular but it could use more reviews on flight sim games. :)Thanks again for the encouragement and advice.

Perhaps the conversations above have already summarized best the initial satisfaction that I have found in dealing with Cheryl at ProGress. Her responses have included very detailed information on the quality of system components, the care with which the systems are built, and her personal commitment to support. In addition to e-mailing me Cheryl created a web site for my particular order so that I can access and order the system quite quickly and easily indeed!I was surprised to find her corresponding thru this post and it is great to see. The flight sim community might indeed be a niche for Cheryl. She is interested in personalized service and support, and would provide an invaluable resource by provding Flight Simmers the right systems at very fair prices and straight answers.Undoubtedly there are many others out there just as capable of building great systems, but it is refreshing to find technical skills combined with a genuine desire to meet the customers needs.Rick