Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

New hardware: perhaps last question!!! I hope...

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi friends,finally i've reached (i hope) last trouble after i've upgraded my PC from Athlon 1.4 GB to P4 2.53 MB (ASUS P4PE MoBo); i've also upgraded my video card from GeForce 2MX to ASUS GeForce 4 TI4200.After installed an Ethernet Fast PCI D-Link DFE-500TX card (i have two networked PC's, they were linked also before), after Win98 loaded i get an RPCSS error (red cross) and from time to time same error reappears and i'm unable to run several programs.So i had to remove my network card waiting for helps in solving this trouble. Can anyone experienced help me? or maybe suggest a link to a forum specialized in this kind of troubles?Thanks in advanceLuigi ;-)

I'd first look at the IRQ of the card.... Did plug 'n play detect the card after installing it? Did the card work intermittently, or not at all? Last, are you networked through a hub or a crossover cable?-JohnI forgot one other important question.... Did you do a fresh O/S install after swapping MB's and CPU's?

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi John,my MoBo has an onboard PCI Ethernet controller and i can enable or disable it in the BIOS; if i enable it, at Win98 start it prompts me for installing software for the new hardware. Installation is always successfull. Then after reboot i get the network password screen, i click on OK and voila..........RPCSS error screen appears and from time to time it appears again and i cannot run most programs.If i disable the onboard controller and add a PCI network card same error occours :-(If i do not use any network device PC works without any flaws.I haven't been able to check if network card works.My two PC's are networked through a crossover cable.Of course i did a fresh O/S install after swapping MB's and CPU's.Last note: the only way to avoid RPCSS error is deleting, after a DOS restart, file RPCSS.exe in winsystem; this way again i'm unable to run most applications (IExplorer, Outlook ecc.) due to errors.PLEASE, PLEASE help me!Thanks in advanceLuigi ;-)

Microsoft has posted several articles regarding the error on their site. Here's the link (you will have to copy and paste it in order to open it)...http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowtoJust type in RPCSS and do a search. Since Microsoft documents several types of error messages, you'll have to pick the information which most closely matches the text of the error messages you're getting...-John

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

John,RPCSS is for Remote Procedure Call and seems to be an IExplorer file.Maybe this trouble is Win98 registry related.If only could find somethig like a registry repair utility....Just went to www.download.com and did a search for registryhttp://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=registry&tg=dl-20What do you think?Thanks again for helpingLuigi ;-)

Before tweaking the registry, I'd again examine Microsoft's KB. There's several types of RPCSS errors that can crop up. The most significant article I found at Microsoft suggested that one common fix for the error is to move the loading of RPCSS to the runservices section of the registry. But all depends on the specific text of the error you're getting.From what you've said, some of your apps are relying on RPCSS. So you may want it to load. What apps are having a problem, BTW?

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi John,thanks again for your kindness in taking care of my trouble.The RPCSS error (it looks like a page fault error) first appears, once LAN enabled in BIOS, after Win98 network password screen, you know what i'm talkin about.After that the error come up randomly when i start almost all the programs and after i close the error splash program freezes and come again to live 1-2 minute later.>The most significant article I found at Microsoft suggested that one >common fix for the error is to move the loading of RPCSS to the >runservices section of the registry. Can you please explain in detail what i should do? I know Win98 registry but i'm afraid i won't be able to find the entries to move :-(Forgive me but the splash is in italian! You guru should be able to read it anyway.Thanks a lotLuigi ;-)http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3dd2abb9125d7b38.jpghttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3dd2abee12ff3ea8.jpghttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3dd2ac061344cc04.jpg

"Forgive me but the splash is in italian"No problem... I'm Italian-American. Even did a network install back in '95, in Bologna. I don't speak Italian, but I grew up listening to it, and took my first trip to Italy 25 years ago when I was in high school. It's a lovely language, and Windows error messages seem to sound almost friendly!From the error message, the fix I mentioned above doesn't apply. Download a program called "Adaware". It's here at this link:http://www.lavasoft.de/downloads.htmlLet it scan your system, and it will identify any issues it finds, and fix them in the registry.Next, do a virus check.I suspect that you have a web-enabled application that sees the ethernet port, and is causing RPCSS to fail. I am only basing this on reports I've seen in the usenet. The only other suggestion I could have would be to delete all entries under network neighborhood, and then reinstall them. But I'd do that as a last resort.The other issue you may be stuck with. You've said several programs fail if you disable RPCSS by renaming it. Are they programs you've added since the original installation of Windows? Scanreg has been suggested by some as a fix, but others have had to resort to a reinstall of Windows, with the ethernet connection enabled. So first, start with Adaware. I'm hoping that you have a piece of spyware that's causing the issue.But to provide more help, I'd have to know which programs are failing when RPCSS is disabled.-John

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi John, here i am again.Let it scan your system, and it will identify any issues it finds, and fix them in the registry.DoneNext, do a virus check.DoneThen rebooted PC and enabled Ethernet card.As soon as the network password splash apperars the RPCSS error come to life!Click on OK and again the error splash appears.Now let's try some applications:MS Words, runs OK but suddendly freezes with RPCSS splash; CTRL-ALT-CANC, MS Words is there and (locked). After 3 minutes it starts!IExplorer, doesn't show at all and the splash RPCSS come again; CTRL-ALT-CANC, IExplorer is there and (locked). After 2 minutes it starts!PSP the same.Acrobat Reader 5 the same.The options are two: 1) program starts but suddendly freezes for some minutes. 2) program starts "in background" and after 2-3 minutes starts.I have tried tenth of different programs, and results are always as explained above.Ran again Ad-Aware and this time it couldn't find any error.Ran also RegClean, but nothig seems to change.If i want my PC to be OK i have to disable Ethernet card and restore a disk image i save from time to time using Norton GHOST (do you know that program?)What should i do at this point?Forgive me but i'm really DESPERATE!!!! Never had to work so hard for getting my PC OK.Thanks in advance for any further helpcheersLuigi ;-)

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Me again,as per suggestion i enabled the onboard Ethernet controller and, after RPCSS.exe deleted i gave a try to most of my programs.Well, all of them ran just fine!The only three programs with errors were1) Internet Explorer (unable to connect to any site!)http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3dd3c7167a817c5b.jpg2) Outlook Expresshttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3dd3c74c7b0ee179.jpg3) Atomic Clock Sync v2.6http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3dd3c7747b9870e1.jpgThe error does not appeared when launching above programs but when trying to connect to the NET.Hope you'll be able to give me further help with these infosThanks a tonLuigi ;-)

Very odd stuff....Just a guess at this point, but with RPCSS renamed, you might want to reinstall I.E.With the ethernet port enabled, can you network the two PC's?I hate to say it, but this is one of those errors that any tech could probably fix by sitting at your computer for a few moments, but it's a challenge to fix without "real time" dialog. Most people who've had the problem to this extreme have ended up reinstalling Windows.I have a basic rule when setting up systems, especially those with built in peripherals like soundcards, LAN ports, or graphics cards:1) Install the O/S with all cards enabled.2) Before adding any software, verify that all peripherals are working and recognized by Windows.If I were going to fix the problem without reinstalling Windows, this is what I'd do....1) Uninstall, then reinstall Windows Networking. I have fixed many an odd error this way. But even after twelve years' support, it's beyond my skill level to walk someone through the procedure, other than over the phone.2) Reinstall/Upgrade Internet Explorer. Can fix a lot of "broken" problems in the registry. You should also check with the MB manufacturer, on the outside chance that the LAN port has a conflict that could be resolved with a driver upgrade.I'll be in and out of the forums, waiting to hear how things go..-John

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi John,again many thanks for your support.Here what i did:1) rebooted in DOS mode and deleted RPCSS.exe2) enabled Ethernet card in BIOS3) at Win98 start i didn't get any error (no RPCSS in Windowssystem ;-) )4) installed IExplorer 65) restored RPCSS.exe and rebootedAt Win98 startup nothing seemed to change and "our old friend" RPCSS error came to life.6) went in to control panelnetwork and deleted all entries7) rebooted and followed Win98 instructions for reinstalling all network devices and protocols.8) rebooted and got again the same error on startup.9) ran IExplorer 6 and...

10) ran Outlook Express and got same error shown in my last post11) with the ethernet port enabled, i could easily network the two PC's (all went OK!)At this point hope you'll have some new suggestions....Thanks again for taking care of my crazy PC!cheersLuigi ;-)

Do you get into the Internet through a telephone connection, or through a cable or DSL connection?Just a hunch, Internet Explorer may be trying to "dial-out", which can trigger the RPCSS error in IE and Outlook.Open up regedit, and look for this entry. If it exists, change the value from a Y to an N.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftOLEEnableRemoteConnectIf you still have no luck, post the entries in your run, runonce, and runservices registry keys, so we can see what's going on there.BTW, if Tom wants to move this to the hardware discussion forum, I think we should let him to keep the forum on topic... But hopefully, you'll have time to see this response :)

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

>Do you get into the Internet through a telephone connection, or >through a cable or DSL connection?Telephone>Open up regedit, and look for this entry. If it exists, change the >value from a Y to an N.>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftOLEEnableRemoteConnectDone!Now i do not have RPCSS error ANYMORE!!!! AWESOME!!!!!But launching IExplorer

and Outlook Express

>If you still have no luck, post the entries in your run, runonce, >and runservices registry keys, so we can see what's going on there.OK!Run

Run-

RunOnce

RunOnceEx looks like RunOnce.RunServices

RunServices-

RunServicesOnce looks like RunOnce and RunOnceEx.Once more i have to THANK YOU again for your kindness.Waiting for good news........Luigi ;-)

From what I can see, you had at least one applet that was messing with your system--new.net. It looks like the registry entry for that was disabled (it's in the run- key vs. the run key). Even after disabling this entry, Internet TCP/IP connections have been known to fail or produce odd errors. There is an uninstall routine, but reports say that doesn't always work. I would suggest installing the Dial-Up networking 1.4 update. Here's a link to it:http://www.microsoft.com/Windows98/downloa...n14/Default.aspThis may fix any damaged files that may have been changed by uninvited applications.-John