Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

New hardware: perhaps last question!!! I hope...

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi John,here what i did:1)Edited Win98 Registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftOLEEnableRemoteConnect, changed from Y to N2) Rebooted3) Enabled onboard Lan card in BIOS4) Installed PCI Ethernet Controller software5) Rebootedand at Win98 startup didn't get any RPCSS error.6) Installed Ad-Aware v5.83, ran it and after scanned all drives i corrected all errors (71)7) Rebooted8) Ran RegClean that couldn't find any error.9) Rebooted10) Uninstalled all Network Environment in Control Panel11) Rebooted12) Reinstalled Network Environment13) Rebooted14) Installed the Dial-Up networking 1.4 update (Win98 SE Italian)15) Rebooted16) Created new Remote Access connection17) Launched new created connection and logged to the network.18) Ran IExplorer >>> AVsim.com

19) Ran Outlook Express

What went wrong with my procedure?PLEASE, PLEASE keep helping me!!!!!!!Thanks in advanceLuigi ;-)

Disable the network port. Do nothing else. Do the errors go away in Internet Explorer?I have a growing fear that some piece of spyware or software has caused such a problem with your system, that an O/S reinstall may be the only way to fix it. As a last, last resort, turn off Active desktop.-John

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi John,i disabled the network port, it this what you're talking about?

The errors are still there :-(Never had Active Desktop enabled.Do you think i'll be able to fix this annoying error upgrading my OS to, for example, Windows XP?Thanks a lot again for helping!cheersLuigi ;-)

I meant disable the network port in Bios. Also you could remove just the network card drivers, on the odd chance there's a conflict there.I believe even if you reformat and install Win 98, the problem would go away--XP is arguably better, but save yourself the cost by at least trying to get 98 working with your network port. And you need to get the network port working first before installing any add-on software, verify that IE and Outlook are working, then be very careful in adding programs, especially freeware or shareware off of the web. One of the things which has made this so challenging is that I saw from your registry a lot of software added. Anything could have blown up IE.After each program install, run Adaware (install it first!), and check IE and Outlook. Also, a virus scanner may not catch some of the more nasty viruses going around. Somewhere, I think you have a guilty program which messed with the Windows core components. It sure sounds like a virus or spyware--and it sounds like something that wreaked even more havoc as soon as it saw your network card.-John

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

John,sad to hear there's no more to do...........Was so hopefull during last days waiting for a final solution to my trouble.Yesterday i took the plounge, reformat my HD and did a new Win98 installation; but what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!New troubles, yes new troubles also starting from scratch!Installed Win98SE with standard options, installed all driver sets, network, IExplorer and Outlook were ok. Tried an internet connection and it worked, tried a network connection and it worked OK.Later i was oopening a DOS prompt window and.........WHAMMMMMMMMM!!!!"NOT ENOUGH MEMORY TO RUN PROGRAM, CLOSE ALL APPLICATIONS AND RETRY"was the error message saying! Useless to say i had no one other application running.Rebooted and tried again, this time the DOS prompt window came to life but after i ran another program the message was always the same :-(Decided to install OFFICE 2000 and at 75% again the same message appears: "NOT ENOUGH MEMORY TO RUN PROGRAM, CLOSE ALL APPLICATIONS AND RETRY".At this point i'm really gettin crazy! I have two roads in front of me but no one is transitable.What do you think?Thanks a lot again for the whole help you're giving to me.cheersLuigi ;-)

I'll be off the forum for about 10-12 hours after this post...My guess is you might have some odd hardware issue amiss. I have to assume you installed no add-on software, other than Office 2000? A "Not enough memory error" is one I'm familiar with when one of my company program builds "blows up".At this point, to troubleshoot hardware, try first swapping your RAM chips.These problems are so inconsistent now, as to make me worry about whether it's a fixable issue through such a distant dialog. One thing we could try, if you have Roger Wilco, is to arrange a Roger Wilco session where I could talk you through issues more quickly. If this is something that might work, let me know, and I'll try to set up a session with you in the morning (Arizona time, that is...) :)

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi John,been away for a while.Sounds very odd but the hardware error i was talking about in my last post only happens wheni try a new Win98 installation, but never, never happens if i load a GHOST saved C: partition.So i decided, if i want survive to the last hardware upgrade, to swap modem+internet connection from main PC (P4 2.53GB) to the client (ATHLON 1.2GB).In this case both network card and internet seem to work OK. The only think i dislike isnot to have been able to solve the trouble you know very well and to have a somehow sick upgraded PC :-( but i say again, i want survive without spending most of my freetime troubleshooting.Thanks to your precious help i finally got rid of that annoying RPCSS error and now the upgraded PC runs just fine.In case you'll grab any new ideas regard that well know conflict, PLEASE let me know and i'll experiment.THANKS, THANKS A LOT for all the time you spent in helping me, you've been like a real friend and never felt alone with my trouble, sure to find every morning a new answer to my new question.Your friendLuigi ;-)

I am glad to hear you found a solution, although it certainly doesn't sound like the best. Sometimes, what it comes down to is the way Windows is allocating the IRQ's to your hardware. I have had to go into my BIOS and force IRQ's on some slots, as my modem, for instance, is very picky about what IRQ it is on.On my home system, one thing I also did was disable Com 2, to free up an additional IRQ. I have no need for two Com ports, not in these days of USB. I use Com1 for the rate PC to PC hyperterminal transfer, and my modem acts as the second Com port. I usually suggest disabling Com 2 on any PC with two Com ports, plus an internal modem.Regards,John

SYMPTOMS When you start Windows 95, Windows 98 or applications (including Visual Basic 6.0, Visual C++ 6.0, and so forth), the Internet Connection dialog box appears. CAUSE If you have enabled remote connections in Windows 95 or Windows 98, your system might try to initiate an Internet connection at Windows 95 or Windows 98 startup or at the start of some applications. This behavior is often referred to as AutoDial or AutoConnect. Resolution: To turn off remote connections in Windows 95 or Windows 98, set the registry key EnableRemoteConnect to "N". You can do this by running DCOMCNFG, clicking the Default Security tab, and clearing the Enable remote connection check box. If DCOMCNFG fails to run, try the steps below, which describe creating REG files that modify the EnableRemoteConnect setting directly. Your normal Internet activities should not be affected by changing this setting to disable remote connections. This setting is the default for most systems. However, enabling remote connections is necessary for some features of DCOM. For additional information on this setting, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: Q177394 Troubleshoot Run-Time Error '429' in DCOM Applications Q175312 Modem Attempts to Dial When Windows Starts

Thanks for the post--this was not his issue, however... But it's useful information for those not "in the 'biz", unlike meself.-John