Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

Nvidia drivers and 2D panel corruption

I currently have the 30.82 drivers installed in my P3-1000, Geforce 2 Mx system -- considering the system in totality, I am quite happy with its' performance. I have most sliders set fairly high and get away with it -- It doesn't like big cities like London though!! Back to the drivers-- after installing the 30.82 drivers, I thought I got an improved framerate but also discovered a "problem" which apparently is quite common. It involves a "corrupted" section of the 2D panel -- the corruption showing up as a kind of colour distortion. This distortion co-incides with the black part of the screen underneath the panel. The size of this black part is determined by the {VIEW} settings in the Panel.cfg file -- typically SIZE_X=8191SIZE_Y=2500This corruption happens when the 2D screen is in full screen mode with AA selected and there is text on the screen like the "Brakes" or "Framerates " messages. Once the text goes, clicking once on the panel kills the corruption.The way around this corruption is to operate in 32 bit mode, or turn AA off or stretch the forward VIEW . All of these "fixes" have a negative impact on framerates.It would be nice to get some input on this problem -- just how many people have it, is it a symptom of some combination of hardware and drivers, etc?Thanks Barry

Barry:I have a Leadtek Ti500 and have experienced a similar problem with drivers made after the 22.80 drivers that I am still using. With AA selected, a moire [?] pattern would appear as a column on the right hand side of the 2D panel. 2x or 4x AA selected, the problem was continuous. With Quincunx AA it happened to a much lesser degree. This problem occured with the 29.42 drivers, and the 30.82 drivers you are using now.I have not seen the problem with the 40 series drivers, but they do not support all of the GF3 Ti500 features, so I do not use them. I have tried stretching the View settings, in my case to improve the runway and taxiway lighting in 2D, but found it to be too great a frame rate hit to continue its use.I am not familiar witht he AA settings on your Video card and so am wondering, is Quincunx a selection? That selection is the one where I had the fewest problems with banding or distortion when text was displayed.Rick

I too have this problem with my GF3 and 30.82 when using FSAA (with and without quincunx), I also noticed in MSTS that the incab views look like floor panels and you can see the layout of where they go. The 40.72 drivers did cure this but I also lost the ability to overclock and to shut off v-sync.

Guest gasebah

Well I am not sure guys. I have a MSI GF4Ti4600 and went through all driver changes without any probs.The problem is that for whatever reason Windows keeps some old dlls sometimes and mixes up your drivers even if you unistall the drivers correctly in the control panel. And lets be honest sometimes you simply forget this and simply overinstall drivers.Not sure if this helps or confuses but here's what I have done with 100% success.I unzip the drivers to a known folder that I create.I then simply go to C:Windowsinf. In that folder I locate the nv3.inf and the nv4.inf and rename them nv3.i_f and nv4.i_f. I then go to Add/Remmove programs and uninstall the XP Nvidia drivers including the remove registry entries when asked.I reboot, letting XP discover new hardware. When the wizard comes up, I lead it to the new drivers folder. The rest is a snap following instructions. Reboot, and use your favorite "tweak" utility to re-tweak your new drivers.I then return the nv4.i_f and nv3.i_f to their original names incase of a problem windows will still install the default XP drivers. I have done this many times.Might be worth a try.Alex

I had the identical problem.. and I recall many other users did too..The solution for me was to go back to an earlier driver.. 12.41 were the best drivers for 16 bit color and AA enabled.. 1152x864 resolution on a 32 Meg card was the best I could do.Now, I have upgraded to a GF4-4200 card and run 30.82 drivers with 32 bit color in 1280x960, AA enabled and better framerates.

Bert

Does the problem occur with the default F4U Corsair? If not, then add this line - render_3d_window=1 - to each A/C's panel CFG file. It should be placed under the Window00 header. Open the F4U panel CFG and look under Window00 for an example. This addition solved the problem for me when running in 16 bit mode using 28.32 drivers.

Guest freequest

yep i think its common to the gf2 mx cards i had the same problem so i changed to 32bit mode and since the GF2 dosnt really do AA i run without that and tweak the system with riva tuner... and with a bit of overclocking i can run all the secenry sliders to max and not owrry about framerate...Of couse its a temp fix till i get a faster GF card...

>Does the problem occur with the default F4U Corsair? If not, >then add this line - render_3d_window=1 - to each A/C's >panel CFG file. It should be placed under the Window00 >header. Open the F4U panel CFG and look under Window00 for >an example. This addition solved the problem for me when >running in 16 bit mode using 28.32 drivers. Hmm-- at this time, I haven't tried this out -- but it is true that this colour corruption doesn't happen with the Corsair panel.BUT -- I believe the reason for this is that the forward view in the Corsair covers the entire screen . This problem only occurs when the forward view does not cover the complete screen (this is for the majority of aircraft) .But anyway, asd soo as I get off this , I will enter render 3d=1 into the appropriate place and see what happens ..Anyway, as an aside -- does anybody know why some panels have "ender 3d=1 "Barry

My ASUS Geforce 2 MX card does AA quite well-- there is a quite distinct difference between AA and non AA on my screen. AA DOES cost quite a few frames though!Barry

>Does the problem occur with the default F4U Corsair? If not, >then add this line - render_3d_window=1 - to each A/C's >panel CFG file. It should be placed under the Window00 >header. Open the F4U panel CFG and look under Window00 for >an example. This addition solved the problem for me when >running in 16 bit mode using 28.32 drivers. THIS WORKS!! THIS WORKS!!!THIS WORKS!!!!THANKYOU!!THANKYOU!! THANKYOU!!!!BARRY