Sign in to follow this  
Guest artl

OT: hardware help

I upgraded my fltsim computer from Athlon 1.33 gig to Athlon XP 2400+ and i get random reboots after approx. 5-6hrs of turning the computer on.win xp homemobo: GA-7DX Ver. 4.0bios ver. F1 (yes, i tried F7 the latest but it happens more often)Im thinkin' its my mobo, its not 100% compatible, the guys at Gigabyte said it would work, just not pick up the model number, and yes it boots and says athlon amd 2000Mhz, i have the chip speed set at 133, should i lower it (via switches on my mobo)??what else could be the prob. this is the only thing i can think of, im thinking i might get the GA-7DAXPany thoughts/help would be much appreciatedoh, agp aperature set at 64 (tried other settings, this seems to be the most stable)agp fastwrites off1x/2xciao!Brian S

Ciao!

Just a couple ideas, either of which could be totally wrong but are worth checking into. How's your power supply? Bad power could cause spontaneous reboots. Also, get into your device manager and make sure you aren't having any device conflicts. Does it always happen when you are doing one particular thing, or does it happen no matter what you are doing?KP

see here is the strangest thing, i put it in last fri afternoon and it really worked well until sunday afternoon i was fltsimming and flying the falcon 50 and poof it rebooted, well i thought maybe something is whacked with fs and/or falcon 50 so then i tried it again and sure enough, i was just taxing the plane and reboot! soooo.. i thought uhhaa must be fs, then i was just surfing one day i think mon or whatever and bam/reboot! soo.... now im not to suremy power supply im sure is plenty, i believe its a 300W, but i have to check that to be 100% sure, and yes just checked my device manager it says that all is well with my amd and i didnt have any conflictsyes, i just checked my invoice, it says 300Wciao!Brian S

Ciao!

Guest ccgr

I would check the CPU temp settings, make sure your system is not getting over heated. Most mobo offer hardware monitoring software where you can see CPU temp and fan RPMsJust a thought.

Guest artl

>Im thinkin' its my mobo, its not 100% compatible, the guys >at Gigabyte said it would work, just not pick up the model >number, and yes it boots and says athlon amd 2000Mhz, >AMD's processor-configuration site certainly does not list your board as recommended for the 2400+. At these very high speeds, I would bet that there is more to "being compatible" than simply being able to read the processor type. Art.