Sign in to follow this  
Guest UweR

2 Questions

Guest Jet

1. I need enroute charts for high and low level IFR...nationwide. Anyone have any good ideas on this?? Should I just buy from Sporty's or something?2. Need real worl pilot...trying to confirm... typical autopilots "will" or "will not" do an APP HLD if engaged after the localizer and glidelope become active. In FS, it "will not" and I was wandering fi this is accurate or not.Thanks

Guest lawyerpilot

All FBO's cut off the tops of unsold IFR/VFR charts and mail them to the FAA for credit toward their next purchase of charts. So, the next revision is Nov 28th or therabout. Then you can go over and get the charts from them because otherwise they throw them out.Hope this helps.If you have any other questions, I am a 190 hour instrumented rated pilot working toward the commercial, as well as a law student clerking for the FAA for the last year, so shoot away. Or you can email me at cbraun1@hotmail.comHappy flying!Christopher

Guest lawyerpilot

You usually have to activate the App button and then intercept the glideslope by flying through it.. Hence flying level as the glideslope descends will bring you through it, then the autopilot catches it and begins a descent, usually through manipulation of the trim wheel of the plane. The localizer on the other hand will be seen the instant the APP button is activated, and the plane will fly toward the centerline to line up. So, as the pilot, you still control the vertical plane of the aircraft until you catch the glideslope. Only had limited experience with autopilots though, so if anyone else knows of a different model or procedure, please come forth!CB

the general way to do a coupled appraoch is as followed:when cleared for the ILS (so on final interception heading and on cleared altitude) you'll arm the approach to intercept the LOC (at the cleared altitude).then,when estasblished on LOC the plane will intercept the GS automaticallyfor a CATI appraoch,you'll usually disconnect A/P when you have a good visual on the runway

Guest Jet

Thanks Seba.I usually disconnect at the DH, since the autopilot flies the approach so nicely compared to me except on my really good days (far and few between unfortunately)!!

Gregg,Try Desktop Wings. They have some nice chart packages for sim pilots. I have a chart atlas which is based on WAC charts. They also have the enroute high and low altitude charts you need. Their number is 1-800-848-6198, or try desktopwings.com. Regards, Tom :-)

Guest Jet

Thanks for the chart advice, I'll check that.Greg

Guest UweR

Hi, I just bought my IFR high and low enroute charts (origin from Wunstorf military airport in Germany) through e-bay, paid 40 bucks for the complete US set (some 30 double sided high and low maps, some 20 books of airport diagrams and procedure charts, supplements), less then I paid for the digital charts at aeroplanner

Guest Jet

Wow, that looks great.I'm not an E-Bay guy so a direct link would be appreciated.Thanks,Greg