Sign in to follow this  

DirectX 9 - expiration date

Guest gasebah

Hi,as I am and have always been a gambler when it comes to beta versions I would be willing to install the 9.0 beta. However during the installation it says that the version expires on March 19th and that I would have to reinstall windows if I do not have a beta password and acces the beta website. Can anyone shed some light onto this?Alex

"Can anyone shed some light onto this?"One of the reasons why I stay away from betas. Sometimes, in the constant effort to "perceive" an extra fps or two, or one less stutter, we break what's essentially not broken. I'm on DX 8.1, and have no plans to change it until I find a program that requires a newer version. My 98SE system runs FS and other apps with the stability of a server. I'd rather have that than the perception of improved performance, or the headache of dealing with expiring betas.

Guest gasebah

Hi John,u convinced me. I stay away from it this time. But I always loved to get the 2 frames more.I learned so much more about computers by dealing with betas and their problems. I would still be pretty dumb if I would have stayed away from searching the 2 fps, I wouldn't even know how to reinstall windows :-).You are a pro anyway so....BTW I am on 8.2 of course and had not the slightest problem.Alex

The official version is set for a January release date so that is plenty of time to go from Beta to Official and not worry about it expiring.

Guest gasebah

That's encouraging. I'll give it a go.Alex

Same OS here, but I'm afraid we gonna have to move to newer guzzlers soon... I feel FS2004 could let Win95 down...

My multiplayer is still screwed from the directplay update that I installed earlier his month... I need to try something! I'll let you all know if my multiplayer started working again.Sincerely,Phil Geddes