Sign in to follow this  

Ack! FS2002 System Crashes.

First - the specs as it stands:(* indicates a change from original) Athlon 2100+*Asus A7V8X Mobo (Via 4-in-1 v4.40b & v4.43 used - no change)*1x 512MB DDR333 Samsung*SB Audigy 2 (Drivers from install CD used)*Geforce 4 Ti 4200 (128mb) (40.72 WHQL)Windows XP Professional SP-1 (Fully re-loaded)Second - the symptoms:Load into a flight. In cockpit, looks good.I'm stable forever standing still - in motion I have 1 minute before crash. If I switch to an external view, crash. Just prior to crash, there is flickering and strange z-buffer things going on with textures. The first crash was a hard reboot. The subsiquent crashes led to WinXP trapping it. The error is, 3 out of 4 times, in the G2D.DLL or the G3D.DLL file. (See screengrab below)Third - the troubleshooting:I've turned off the D3D/Video acceleration and that prevents crashes. (Of course, FS2002 looks like FS95 at that point). Ran some DXDiag tests on the video, and they turned out OK. Fourth - the research:Forum searches here and at fs.com turned up no answers. One thread talked about mismatched memory modules, the other had driver mentions (of which I have done already). The MS knowledgebase refers to the problem as one with FS2000, and having to do with video shadowing. I have no option for that in BIOS, amazingly enough. - - - I'm puzzled. Outside of FS2002, the system performs perfectly. :) Needless to say, I'm not too pleased that my upgrading has downgraded my FS experience. Any help or pointers would be GREATLY appreciated. -Greg Germ

Guest Eagle92395

Just taking a stab at it since I have never seen that problem... but WinXP has that big brother thing to it, and when you change out a certain # of hardware pieces within a certain amount of time... you get a Digital ID error. Not sure if that has anything to do with FS2k2 or not, but call up Microsoft... I've always had good service talking with them, just don't take any crap, you are the customer :)

True.. but I am working on a completely clean install - I reinstalled XP (and it's associated activation nonesense), so it sees and understands all the current hardware.I am going to do an uninstall/reinstall of FS2002 to see if it's corrupt files. But (2) corrupt files seems odd to me. -Greg

You could disable DirectX hardware sound acceleration - Hardware Sound Acceleration Level slider all the way to left in DXDiag before running FS.Don't know if this will help but my FS2002 crashes if I don't do this.You might have a button on your soundcard control panel to turn it off, which is handier.Worth a go anyway.

This may sound stupid but......... 40.72 Drivers trashed my wins98. I couldn't get it back up to save my soul. After 2 days I gave up and updated to win xp the hard way. (not having window up in win98) Again I installed 40.72. Did all the program conversions and then started to play with fs2002. All kinds of problems. Mostly crashed and auto reboots. Framerates way down compared to wins 98. Finially I said I had have enough with 40.72 and went back to 40.71. Guess what? No more crashes and the frame rate higher then before I went to wins xp. My advice to anyone..........Trash 40.72 It is big trouble. Go back to 40.71 Jim Foraker

Bumping up an update...It may be partially the fault of a bad installation, or perhaps my system's influence on the installation.I RELOADED XP last evening (taking Ghost snapshots at each stage for easy "reloading") and after all the drivers were in, the first app I installed was FS2002.Upon running, it looked OK, but when loading into Meigs, I had a message stating that FS was trying to access a non-existant directory. I got in, and all the ground textures were missing. I had some mirror-effect patches, otherwise it was solid colors. I slewed around, and at a scenery file border I got another message saying that the directory "/scenedb/somethingnormal/JIBBERISH" didn't exist. The jibberish looked like some wingdings and other high-level font characters. It was a mess.Either way, the sim did continue to crash, exibiting the same texture tearing and flashing that accompanied my first plea for help.Other things I tried were different video drivers - up to the 41.03's, down to the 40.71's. NO difference. I'll be reinstalling MSFS tonight to see if THAT has any bearing. If I can get it to load in with no directory errors or whatever, perhaps I'll be able to try different video drivers. Failing that, I'll be dropping back to my pre-driver snapshot and going in, NO SP1, NO 4-in-1 (just the AGP driver - NO IDE, NO INF) and seeing if that has any bearing on things. Let me just say this - this is my second VIA-based motherboard, and both of them have given me considerable grief - I heard reports that they had stabilized themselves, and I'm sure many of you have good VIA-based setups, but my luck has been naasty. There's something about having to load drivers (the 4-in-1's) that makes me uneasy. Next time I am going to go for an Intel based board. Hands down.Any further tips would be welcome,-Greg

I am about to build a system very similar to yours using Windows2000Pro. I will post my results when finished.Have you been to ASUS.com for updates.Also, remove FS2002, defrag your hard drive, and run scan disk, reinstall FS2002 and turn off all non necessary background programs that might be running.I get the feeling that the installation did not take with FS2002 for some reason...Keep tryng man!Rob

The "refresh" of FS2002 proved, sadly, ineffective. After an uninstall, a purge of my games directory (which contained nothing, as it was a fresh system install), a defrag, and then a reload, the problems remain.I then installed Battlefield 1942, and ran around shooting peoples and things for many minutes with zero problems - 3D audio and all, and graphics options maxed. I did not notice any strange behaviour. Methinks that somehow, someway, somewhere, my combination of hardware proves fatal for FS2002. Puzzling!!My fix, that I am working on right now, is a Asus P4PE + P4/2.4 GhZ. Yup - switching gears into an Intel solution. The just purchased AMD/VIA gear will be going into my brother's Christmas gift, which will be a half new, half old computer. I shall report to the thread if I still have problems. If I do, then I shall drive my heavy car off a short pier. ;-) Happy flying, -Greg

Greg sorry to hear your haveing problems with you system i had simlair crash for weeks then i changed my power supply and everything went back to normal i have not had a crash since then went from a 300 too 450 wattes also they could be some kind of conflict with hardware somewere if you changes everything and tried all the drivers possble then rebuild your system again to find out if there any hardware good luck mate and let us know how its going.

Regarding my OLD setup (the one with the problems)...It was actually an entirely new set. New mobo, new processor, new memory, new video card, new sound card, new power supply, new hard drive... old floppy and CD-RW though. :)I did the take-apart and re-build thing, the reload programs and reload OS thing, the different old/new/beta driver thing. I just couldn't get it going.Pending Friday night plans with my girl, I'll either "get to the computer tomorrow", or be able to fire up the new setup tonight. Either way I'll be updating here. -Germ

Ok - I finally have my issues resolved. Summary:I took the wimpy way out, and the way some may say was unnecessary. I purchased a different processor/mobo combo. Here is a list of gear..."Broken" Machine: (all new components)[ul][li]Asus A7V8X Mobo (Via 4-in-1 4.43 )[li]AMD 2100+ CPU[li]Samsung 512MB DDR333 Stick[li]Geforce 4 Ti 4200 (40.72 )[li]Maxtor 80GB (7200/ATA133/8MB Cache)[li]SB Audigy 2 (Shipping drivers )[li]Intel P4/2.4 Ghz Processor [li]All other components transferred.[/ul]First thing - loaded FS2002. Amped up all the sliders, and held my breath. No errors on the scenery loading...MEIGS! Now, the external camera test. Smoooooth.Let's slew... smooooth.Reset the sim, change some nVidia settings (4x AS filtering)...Back in, and go for a flight (the standard Meigs-O'Hare test)SMOOOOOOTH!Somehow, someway, my old board did NOT get along with FS2002. I tried it with other games, and it worked fine. But given that FS2002 is my primary use, it wouldn't do.MY old gear, as I cannot return it, will be built into a computer for my brother as a Christmas gift. A pricy one for me, but it will go to a good home. :) And that is the story of my past week or so. What a pain in the arse it's been! Thank you all for your suggestions! Now I can get back to flying!Take great care, all...-Greg

Hi Greg,I wished I had read about your problems before I purchased very similar hardware on your broken machine. I am putting it together as we speak. I will be using Windows2000Pro instead of XP. I will post results later.Rob