Sign in to follow this  

Hyperthreading & FS2002

Guest TerryT

Tomorrow, Intel starts shipping out their new Hyperthreading P4s (3.06MHz) chips which are made in the ABQ (Rio Rancho) plant. Who is planning on upgrading to this new chip that is suppose to be able to do two completely separate tasks at the same time without any performance loses? There is a video over on the "Tom's Hardware Guide" http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q4/021114/index.html that shows in a side by side test, this new chip beating out a P4 3.60 MHz on identical systems. (Excluding chips)Maybe this new chip will help beat back that "Processor Dependent Barrier" much like the X series aircraft did for the sound barrier. We can only hope.Terry

Guest flightpro08

I've been looking forward to this chip for quite some time. While the advantage of Hyperthreading really won't be known until we get a wide variety of users using it, running various applications, I'm expecting good things out of it. Now I've just gotta get the cash to get it. ;-) Maybe Christmas. :DRyan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)SAN TRACON Lead ASRC (Advanced Simulated Radar Client) Beta Tester-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 30.30 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298-----------------------------Click [link:ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=&Author=Ryan+Fretwell&CatID=Root]Here to Download my New American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!

Both Gateway and Dell are selling them now. According to an article today on SimHQ.com, the Hyperthreading does not appear to benefit FS2002 any. They have a full review.

Until MS makes FS2002 into a multi-threaded application I think it will be the case.Michael J.

Yes, I believe that is the case. I believe the software applications will have to be written specifically to take advantage of that feature of the chip.Dewey

Guest TerryT

The local newspaper article(remember Intel is right next door to us) states that Windows XP can utilize this technology right now. That then should free up or dedicate one side of the chip to run FS2002, yes?Terry

In fs2002 the reviewer got the same fps with HT on as with it off...no difference...and in fact a negligable 1-2 fps difference from just a regular P4 2.8....it appears that HT will NOT be advantageous to gamers until the software developers start writing the new games so that they will actually use the new technology...and even then it didnt appear as though it would make a HUGE difference anyway...some reports were as high as 30% performance gain in cetain applications that can use HT, yet other reports showed much more conservative figures (1% - 5% gains)...to me its all hype anyway, heck 18 months from now we'll be up to what...6gigs?...and in 3 years...12gigs?...now that impresses me:-) :-)Dave

I wonder if HT would help with third party add-ons? The reviews I've read indicate that it makes the computer more efficient with multi-tasking. I would think this would improve performance with wx generators, TCAS, DF FMC, and other devices that compete for CPU time with FS.Re: 6GHz, if you look at Intel's roadmap, they don't show 3.33G until 2Q '03 so I'm wondering just how quickly the GHz ramp will continue to be. Moore's law relates to computing power and transistor density, not clock speed. The Northwood A core is only scheduled for 3.2G with the Prescott taking it from 3.33 up to a projected 5.0GHz. Even going to a 0.09 micron process and a 1.25 Vcore there is a tremendous thermal load. A year ago the 2.0GHz was new. For clocks to double in 18 months then we should be looking at 4.0Ghz by June '03 where in reality we'll be looking at 3.33.Technologies such as HT, asyncronis instruction sets, etc will probably play more and more of a factor as the processors continue to evolve. I kind of wonder if Intel realizes the true cost of the GHz war and is looking for a proprietary ace to play. If a technology such as HT can become a defacto standard that is so efficient/fast/cool/whatever that software vendors all begin coding to it then AMD becomes as moot to the mainstream as Lotus or Apple.

Hi, In my case, for any upgrade I will wait 3 month before the release of fs2004, which the min should be 2.5 ghz to run this not a full. I am expecting near 3.5 ghz if not more to run fs2004, also all price will drop and will be less expensive at the time. ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFshttp://fsw.simflight.com/fsw.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

If I'm not mistaken it sounds like this HT CPU behaves exactly like a dual processor system, but uses only one CPU instead of two. If this is true then I think I can safely say that it wouldn't perform any miracles for FS2002. When I was asking on these boards a couple months ago if my dual processor setup was helping FS2002, I was told that it was only helpful for managing programs that were running in the background. The software has to be specifically written to take advantage of multithreading capability and to this date I can't think of any games that do. Of course, hopefully with the introduction of this HT technology multithreading apps will become mainstream.-Derek

>Unfortunately FS02 is not MT compatible so HT does nothing >for us in FS02. Hopefully FS04 will be MT compatible, you >listening MS? ;-) That would certainly be nice to know where MS is on this issue. It would be very important clue for some of us who face an upgrade soon.Michael J.