Sign in to follow this  

Black Plane Models

Hi. A few of the aircraft I have downloaded are showing up with only black textures (or should I say blacked out) and some are all white.I have the latest video drivers (as per windows update)and have updated to DX8.1b and installed the AGP update from AMD.None of this has helped. Ok I'm out of ideas.anyone know what causes this and how to fix it?TIAEC

Guest FS_freak

Same here with my voodoo 3 card. You must go to the Imagetool program which is hidden inside your FS2002/gmax folder (do a search for "imagetool" in that folder including subdirectories because I don't recall the path). Once you start imagetool you must open all the files inside the texture folder of the aircraft you want to convert. Create mipmaps for each texture file and save the changes when prompted to do so. There is an option within the Imagetool menu bar for creating mipmaps. Hope this works.BTW, could you send me the URL for the AGP update from AMD? I have an Athlon 650MHZ on an ASUS K7 mobo.Maurice

[/p]Planes blacked out in `aircraft select' menu [/p] [/p]A similar but maybe unrelated thing happened to here. I configured a 737 panel with some kind of day/night switch or `gauge' which dimmed the panel backplane (BMP). After running this configuration, the planes in the `aircraft select' window were all black. The fix was to use FSPS (FS Panel Studio) and remove the day/night gauge from the panel CFG file. This did indeed solve the problem.Then, the panel CFG was edited to create a dark blue tint to the cockpit at night which was really impressive looking!! [/p] [/p]Gregory Abbey - Edwinnengineering

Guest outtatimeiii

When I played FS2002 with my Voodoo Banshee, I had the same problem. I just got into the habit of converting the textures into 16-bit 555, then going into Photoshop and making them 256x256. That made it where my Banshee could render the textures (It seemed like 95% of the Gmax planes did the black thing, relating to the DXT3 textures). 256x256 was the limit on my Banshee and resizing them actually made it look better for some reason.

Hi..You mean you reduced all the texture BMP files to 256x256?? Sounds like it's time to chuck the Voodoo and go with a newer graphics card. Since you have hardware displayed.. how about increasing your RAM? It would be a good idea to add another 128 or even 256 for serious FS operation!!Gregory Abbey - Edwinnengineering

>BTW, could you send me the URL for the AGP update from AMD? >I have an Athlon 650MHZ on an ASUS K7 mobo. >>Maurice >Hi Mauricehttp://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Techni...039^871,00.htmlYou only need this patch if you are using WIN 2000.I have the standard version of FS so I didnt get GMAX. I do have the freeware version laying around somewhere so I'll install it and see if it has the imagetool.ThanksEC

Happened to me only once, only with Skyworld, only when using the "Install and Run" button. Since "Install" alone did not produce this effect, I did not care much. However, the various conditions under which this occurs point towards somekind of minor glitch somewhere deep in the 2k2 engine

Guest outtatimeiii

I already taken care of that Voodoo prob :) New comp with a Radeon 7200 helped that LOL. My dad's system is the K6 with Voodoo now, but thats what I HAD to do to get a new plane working with the Banshee.