Sign in to follow this  

ILS glideslope landing with FS 2002

Guest Hanse_1

Hi!Has anyone found what to do about the annoying fact that the ILSglideslope doesn't work properly with FS 2002.With addon planes and addon sceneries your 737, 747 or, whateverjust drops and droops on the glideslope and you end up "landing"2-300 yards before the runway.Very annoying.To my knowledge nothing has been done about this from Microsoft yet.Has anyone come up with a solution to the problem yet?Happy for tips.Thanks.Hans HermanssonSweden

Guest outtatimeiii

The ILS does work with addons (I rarely do it though, I like flying manual). I usually intercept and let it take me in till I cut the AP (roughly around 500ft AGL) and touchdown manually. Although I think I can fly a better approach flying manual, AP's in some planes are a bit on the touchy side sometimes.

I get similar problems with the ILS approach. Always tend to land about a few 100 yards before the runway. I have read the link given by one of the other posters. Let's see if that technique works. I think autopilot in FS2k2 is extremely flaky. Also, I have noticed that the aircraft never seems to be coming in straight. It always seems to be at an angle (especially when viewed from an outside camera position). This happens even if set winds to 0.

try intercepting the localiser and glidescope at 190 kts and 10% fuel, it works for me in the default aircraft and all other aircraft

You guys are aware of the definition of an ils?:"ILS is classified by category in accordance with the capabilities of the ground equipment. Category I ILS provides guidance information down to a decision height (DH) of not less than 200 ft. Improved equipment (airborne and ground) provide for Category II ILS approaches.A DH of not less than 100 ft. on the radar altimeter is authorized for Category II ILS approaches."The decision height of 200 ft. for an ils cat I approach is where you are flying to (100 for a catII)!Notice on the side view of the approach plate I included below (circled in read) as an example where that decision height is (lower left corner)in relation to the runway (solid black line in the left side of the red circle)-As an addition:"The middle marker is located. approximately .5 to .8 NM from the threshold on the extended runway centerline. The middle marker crosses the glide slope at approximately 200 to 250 ft above the runway elevation and. is near the missed approach point for the ILS Category l approach."If the middle marker is approx .5 to .8 NM from the threshold and "is near the missed approach point" then by deduction the distances you guys are mentioning are most likely correct.You are going to the DH-not the runway threshold.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

Guest jase439

While the glideslope tracking could be a bit more refined (it's a little sloppy), I think most are suffering from Microsoft's decision to:1. Switch to a more conventional GA model where the A/P must be actively tracking a localizer before the G/S can be captured. Additionally, the G/S must be captured from below, typically in a shallow descent or in level flight.2. The added requirement that the pilot actually "control" the descent of the aircraft (fly the aircraft?! what are you saying, Jason...?!). In addition it requires the pilot be mindful of their landing weight, attitude, airspeed, and configuration. This offends many of the Heavy Metal die hards of the FS98 and FS2000 era in which it was sufficient to simply point the nose at the ILS in one fashion or another and just click APP on the A/P, pour a cup of coffee, and sit back to watch a Beech Baron executes a CAT III Autoland at KASE.The FS98/2000 autopilots babied us all - now we actually have to take command of the airplane and invest some effort into landing a plane ;-) For the "autoland" fanatics: it will never happen w/ the FS2002 autopilot. If you're craving an autopilot that will track on rails no matter what you do, you'll need technology a bit more sophisticated like PIC or the Airbus from PSS. Even then, you'll have to know something about how to configure the plane for each phase of the approach.J

For me, three-quarters of my planes dive (at around 2,000 fpm) when capturing the glideslope. However, they always try to level out and go back towards the glideslope before further descending, aligning at around 1,000 ft above the airport, and since before you land you have to disengage the autopilot and flare anyway, I haven't landed before reaching the runway...Kitty MercuryCathay Pacific Virtual Pilot (CX252)

Hans:The best advice I have for you is to fly the approach yourself, by hand. This will only make you a better pilot, virtual or otherwise. Even though FS2000 made me complacent in this regard, after doing the circuit a couple of dozen times in the 777 here at Minneapolis-St.Paul in all kinds of wind and weather, I can now tell you I fly all of my ILS approaches by hand. I do use the autothrottle to help ease the workload though. When FS 2002 first came out we were struggling with the glideslope capture, so I configured a button on my CH FlightSim yoke to hold the localizer only, not the glideslope, controlling my descent manually with power and pitch: That works too.Now I only use the localizer hold for the worst of weather, say 100-200ft ceilings and visibilities in the 1/4 mile range or in heavy fog. A week ago I landed in "zero-zero" conditions flying the aircraft manually down the ILS, never having seen the runway or even the approach lights until about a second or two before I heard the mains hit...Whew! That doesn't usually turn out that well...lol! I should have diverted to my alternate! Hope this helps.Have fun,Alex ChristoffN562ZMinneapolis, MNThermobulb@aol.com

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

i had the opportunity of getting in the cockpit of a 777-200 from brisbane to KL (Flying Malaysia) and i asked the pilot "so what type of landing do you implement, a visual or ILS"?and his reply was"if the airport is ILS/GS equipped we will 'always' use the ILS/GS approach, this is to ensure that we use the safest and most advanced possible means of landing the aircraft available"regardsClayton

Guest jase439

Your last point is especially important. There have been many a post on here about the ILS not "dropping the pilot" squarely over the numbers with the nose straight down its length. Many do not realize that most localizer and glideslope beacons are separate signals and that the localizer can be offset from the runway heading for any number of reasons.The most important advice is: do the homework and study the plates. With all the online resources around, there's little excuse not to be informed.J

The ILS does work with addonsWhat r u talking about??? Works just fine, I just finished some legs on our around the world trip with a PSS 744 and the ILS works fine. Sounds to me like you guy's do not know how to properly fly an ILS approach.

Guest nitram

Even if you are set up for an ILS approach, it is important that the aircraft is set up 10-12nm before the runway. This will allow you to create a steady airspeed while extending flaps and gear. You should be controlling the power so that the aircraft holds the glideslope. Once you have this 'gentle' approach set up, all you need to do is control the descent by adjusting the power (or the autopilot airspeed), switch off the autopilot 200-250 feet above the runway, flare and land. Most glideslope problems are caused by heavy fuel loads and incorrect approach speeds.Regards Nitram UK

Your airplanes will do that if they are either have too much fuel left in the tanks, or your are coming too fast at the interception point. This autopilot doesn't work like the FS98 or FS2000 one. Dave Vega

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library