Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stamatis

Airports 2002 Volume 1 (my review)

I don't have this product, but can recall the Airport 2000 series as being incomplete for some airports (like it was "unfinished"). The first release (I have all 3 releases of the '2000 series) had a great rendition of a Belgium (Brussels?) airport (maybe Wico are based there?), but other airports appeared unfinished if you knew what to look for.Thanks for the review. I took a walk to CompUSA today, but it's not there yet. Bruce.BJC, Jeffco, CO.

Now that I have has time to fully look at each airport here is part 3 and this is it :( to answer Bruce :) My guess is that it is in exchange for better FPS with the level of detail they put into the terminals and textures however I do not see any reason why the cargo areas and other hangers could not be done in a lower poly count of a lower detail of texture.LFPG has almost every building in place but then again Wilco is in France so they proboly had better access and more time .I think my least favorite of the airports is LAX so far.To me simflyers is 100% better.They just left out alittle to much for my liking compared to simflyers.However once again I was getting good FPS on the appoarch with all my terminals filled with AI for the AFCAD I did.I think for the average user who does not own any simflyers this version of LAX will not disappoint.DFW has a unfinshed look to it but the FPS are so much better that I really do not mind so much.The textures are really something else too.However once again you have this massive complex with only the main terminals and it just does not look right when compared to simflyers.The night lighing coming into DFW is so bright that it really gives the feeling of coming into a massive airport.This is a pretty nice touch.Also the taxiways are pitch black except for the lights.KATL.My home airport .VERY unfinshed.You just find the main terminals and the famous Delta hanger,parking area (which does not even look right.No Delta headquartes,Eastern hanger,cargo noda.This kinda made me feel like I got ripped at first but textures for the main terminals look so life like that I have learn to live with it.I still have my simflyers KATL on standby :D KORD.I think most will learn to live it some may hate it.Terminals 1-5 are what you get with this version.It's basically a better default.The terminal detail is very crisp and life like.If there were a few more buildings around this would be a huge winner.FPS are about the same as the default with a good ammount of AI.EGLL is great.I do not think anyone will be disappointed with it.Somethings are not present but the it's pretty stunning to look at.Gary Summons is more detailed in certain areas but Wilco did a pretty good job as well.FPS are very friendly too.EDDM Hard for me to say how good this one is becuase I have never seen it in real life but the textures are good.Building size seem well down but the color seems alittle dull .This is one of the airports to me that does not seem unfinished.I have not looked at this one at night yet but iam sure it's the same as the others.FPS are average.It's not a show stopper.737. The FPS for me are not good with it.I think this is because it's all FS2000 stuff ported to GMAX.The manual for this 737 is even from Airports 2000 V3 or so it seemed.The model looks nothing like a NG and is proboly just used because making a fresh model would have taken alot more time and money.The panel shows the concept of the upcoming A320 pic.So far iam impressed with it.The one thing I really like about this panel is that it is angled proper so you look more down on the panel and over the glareshield.It looks like you are really in the seat.You have preconfigured hot switches so you move around all areas of the panel.The passenger seating is fun to play with it.The FMS is fully functional although not fully simulated.I would not expect that for a mere $35USD.Iam sure the A320 pic will look and perform better because it is the product rather than this which is mostly for airports :) FSNAT.I have not tried it yet because you seem to have to hand code most of it.I do not have the time to learn how to get into this and this is the big disappointment.If you have some concept of coding then FSNAT programming will proboly come easy.Iam not saying not to try it out or that is rocket science.I just do not have time to get into it yet that deep yet.It does look very promising thoughMisc. for some reason there are many ramp items which block usable gates for ai not only that but some of it is just pointless.They have cones at some of the gates but they are not even set up to for parking they are just there and look out of place.To me this is waste of memory so i have removed them.Most of the ramp objects seem pointless to me.Iam wondering is this is where FSNAT comes into play to have simulated ground crew move it when you code it ( could be i dont know :-lol ) You can remove any BGL you want to because this year you have a file list of what is contained in each bgl file.Now removing static and dymanic aircraft is finally made easyFinal thoughts.I was somewhat disappointed at first but as I dug deeper I found alot of things I have liked.The main being the FPS are so much better than I can actually enjoy the appoarches now and not wonder if it's going to be slide show as Airports 2000 v3.I can't even compare AP2000 v3 to AP2002 v1 they really are totally different.I have started to make some AFCADS with overlays and now that my airports once again are populated the missing buildings are going more unoticed.I have been spoiled by simflyers.that is the honest truth.The best thing we can do is give Wilco postive feedback and postive ideas for a patch which I hope is planned and will not just cover FSNAT . Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.com"Bill Grabowski's"ERJ-145 panel Beta TeamMD-11 panel Beta Team-----------------------PAI beta team -----------------------"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 1600 XP MSI KT 266t pro2 512MB DDR 2100GF3 ti 200 64MB SBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3

Thanks Richard, some good further comments!BTW- I see in your sig:"MD-11 panel Beta Team"I've heard great things about this panel!Thanks,Bruce.

It's coming along well but still FARRRRRRRRRR away from finished.If you know Bill's previous work then you will know the quality already ;)Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.com"Bill Grabowski's"ERJ-145 panel Beta TeamMD-11 panel Beta Team-----------------------PAI beta team -----------------------"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 1600 XP MSI KT 266t pro2 512MB DDR 2100GF3 ti 200 64MB SBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3

I would like to correct myself one thing .With DFW alot of the extra buildings are there (cargo? some maintaince). I do not think I saw the reginal terminal though.I will have to look a bit more.Those textures at DFW are so awsome and you will see a few FSNAT cars moving downing the interstate.I just wanted to correct myself :D Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.com"Bill Grabowski's"ERJ-145 panel Beta TeamMD-11 panel Beta Team-----------------------PAI beta team -----------------------"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 1600 XP MSI KT 266t pro2 512MB DDR 2100GF3 ti 200 64MB SBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3

Guest Stamatis

Same computer, same FS2002 settings, same airport, same... everything :-)Which of the two products (Wilco and SimFlyers) exhibits the highest frame rates?Stamatis