Sign in to follow this  

ActiveSky Special Notice

Hello again everyone,I wanted to give you all a quick update on ActiveSky wxRE, the new version that is pending release...Right now we are about 80% done implementing all the new features.Smooth visual cloud transitions have been a real chore, but I think everyone will love the results that have been accomplished! Cloud layers will now slowly fade in and out and will intelligently cross-fade or change densities over time, depending on the old and new weather that is being processed. It is quite pleasing to finally see the clouds form instead of pop in and out!Enhanced internet communication routines have been implemented, which now uses synchronous downloads to prevent stutters or pauses. If your internet connection to vatsim/noaa servers gets bogged down or problematic, ActiveSky now will be able to handle it so that you'll probably not ever notice (unless you keep an eye on the new activity status indicator).Fog cloud layers, overcast horizon fix and precipitation visibility drops are now complete and again the results are very positive. Another new feature working good is the auto-FS connect/reconnect which means you don't have to have FS loaded anymore. If you decide to shutdown FS at any time ActiveSky will be able to deal with it, and will re-connect when FS comes back up. Now you can use ActiveSky totally independantly of FS if you want to plan your flight or just play around with it.Lots more new features are also done and working. I am just finishing up the Offline use mode and TAF processing features. Wake Turbulence is also working for the most part, just have to fine tune it a bit.Beta testing will start very soon.. probably within the next 2 weeks. I am hoping now for a December 15th release.If you are interested in beta testing (beta testers will be rewarded!) then please send me an e-mail to dzc66@cox.net with the subject line ACTIVESKY WXRE BETA. I need lots of folks from many different parts of the world so we get a good testing of all different kinds of METAR, winds aloft and TAF reports. Please only apply if you are able to spend at least 30 minutes a day during the beta testing phase (planned 1 to 2 weeks duration) downloading, testing and reporting on each beta update version.Thanks again for everyone's support of ActiveSky and continued development. News, release information and screenshots will be posted at the Project: ActiveSky website very soon! (http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky)Damian Clark

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

WOW, that has got to be the one of the best addons for FS.Thanks,Bill

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

Guest RiddlePilot

WAKE TURBULENCE!!! Watch out Heavies...I'm comin in close behind!

Guest Frank Betts

Heck I have been using the latest version since it came out. I'm hooked! I'll only fly with the active weather running. Wow this is only getting better. :-smile12

>It is quite pleasing to finally see the clouds >form instead of pop in and out! WOW !!!! Does it really work ?. That would be fantastic.>Now you can use ActiveSky totally >independantly of FS if you want to plan your flight or just >play around with it. >SUPER !!!!Michael J.

Yes it works Michael!Cloud transition intervals are adjustable and default at 1 octa coverage change every 30 seconds. When flying around, while METARs are updating quite frequently, the clouds are pretty much consistently forming and dissipating. The effect is quite convincing!You'll see it soon enough :)-Damian

Damian Clark

Guest dogknot

AvtiveSky is a super addon!! Glad to see it will even get better. Thanks!

One more note about the Beta:This is your chance to help contribute to the flight simulation community - and to help in the design of this and future versions of ActiveSky. All that is needed is 30 minutes a day to check the beta team e-mail, download the latest update, test it, and report back any issues that haven't yet been identified. The beta will last only a week or two...I will not be capping the beta team by a number.. You can join as long as you send an e-mail to dzc66@cox.net with the subject line: ACTIVESKY WXRE BETA by 23:59 of 11/20/02 (Pacific Time Zone). Once you join, you will need to send at least 1 beta test report (bugs found, features suggested, comments, feedback, whatever) to be considered a "participant".Beta participants of ActiveSky wxRE will be rewarded for their help. Details will come later (soon) but for now this is about contributing to your hobby and the community and, as a bonus, getting something tangible back for your efforts. If you can read between the lines here then you'll realize it would be a good idea to join the beta team before it's too late! Tell your friends too, they will thank you later!-Damian Clark

Damian Clark

Thanks so much for this add-on! I'm already enjoying every part of the previous releases! Winds aloft for outside US possible?Take care!

Hi,Unfortunately, there is no acceptable way yet to get actual published, internet-available data in there (need text html or ftp docs!). This will change soon when new ICAO weather delivery programs are in place (maybe 6-12 months?).I would be interested in finding out how ActiveSky's aloft simulation compares to real world winds aloft (outside US)... anyone care to give it a try? I would do it myself but am not familiar with how to access this information! It may already be close?-Damian

Damian Clark

Thank you very much for this add-on! It has certainly made my flightsimming experience much more realistic. Great job Damian!I'm looking forward to your new release...

Damian,What's the latest on compatibility with FS Flight Max and the Sky World cloud packs?Tony

Wow Damian, you continue to amaze me! I am so grateful that you take the time to do this for all of us. I've been using the most recent version for awhile now and love it, but it sounds like the upcoming version will be awesome. Thanks! :)KP

Guest GabrielR

Hi, fantastic, I'm totally hooked with the lates version, now I don't want to fly without it anymore!!Will the next version be also a freeware??