Sign in to follow this  

problems w/ geforce 4

Hello, I just upgraded from a GeForce 2 MX 200 to a GeForce 4 MX 440. Now aircraft and water reflections, and detail textures do not work. I've tried everything and I can't seem to get it to work. In DX diag, AGP texture accel is not available. I installed Power Strip and AGP Transfer mechanism is disabled and AGP appature is n/a. I have the latest drivers from NVidia and ALi (AGP controller). I also have the latest BIOS. I've seen some other posts in the flight sim 2002 forum that address the same problems. Can anyone help?System:AMD Athlon 1400 T-BirdASUS A7A266-E (ALi Chipset)VisionTek Geforce 4 MX440 AGPSoundblaster Live 5.1WinXP HomeFS2002 Pro3 GIG C drive (Quantum Fireball SCSI)20 GIG D drive (IBM Deskstar IDE)32X Teac CDROM drive (SCSI)

I'm having exactly the same problems... which card do you have?I got the Creative 3DBlaster4 MX440. Reflections (aircraft &water) and detail textures are missing. I already consideredtaking the card back to the shop... don't know if it's thecard or if this is a general problem with MX440-based cards.Ray

I have to admit Braun, you've turned me on to another place to check for answers. I love that kind of stuff, especially since Jedi has an Ali chipset. Great job! :-yellow1

Alright, well, there's no reason I can think of for T&L to NOT be working other than there being some conflict with using AGP memory. I've got the Leadtek G4 MX440 (A170). I've got the exact same problems. I have a VIA chipset though, and interestingly enough its reporting the full 64MB available at 4X AGP. Ive been through both available drivers, to no avail, upgraded to DX8.1 (which wasnt the problem in the first place), still nothing. Flashed the BIOS, nothing still. Im beginning to think that the MX series of G4's just simply doesnt do it, because I'm completely stumped. It extends beyond Fs2002 obviously. Anything involving the use of T&L throws the card for a loop. Fs2002 runs great without any T&L features enabled, but the second you enable them, give it about 30 seconds and it'll crash. QuakeIII's the same way, kill all the environment mapping and you're fine, re-enable it, and it crashes. I updated the AGP driver for the mainboard as well, which, surprise surprise, didnt work. So essentially I'm stuck with a main board thats recognizing and I'm going to assume using (unless we're having a flashback to the old Voodoo 5 boards) 64MB of AGP memory. Right now I'm thinking driver issues, but since you're experiencing the exact same problem, with a DIFFERENT board, both companies would have to be making bad drivers, which is probably unlikely, and Leadtek's always been pretty good in the driver dept. What, does the GPU simply NOT DO T&L transforms or what? The texture memory is there, its recognized, so either the GPU doesnt support it (I choose not to believe that), the drivers or crap (a likely problem), or the card is reporting the available AGP memory, but isnt REALLY using it as such.

Guest CHRISH

Hi Jedi,For some reason,AGP is disabled with the latest Detonator drivers for motherboards that uses the ALi chipset. I've found that you will experience a huge loss in performance, and once fixed, gives 20fps+ boost in everything.I found this out when I got a really low score in 3DMark with a GF4Ti4600. Thankfully I found a solution to fix the problem, and here'show: Download and install Rivatuner and go to the Power User tab. Atthe bottom, where the little icons are, click on the one that opens upa matched Detonator database. It probably won't find the exactdatabase for your drivers, so just tell it to load up the closest onethat matches. Now, click the + next to /System and scroll down til yousee EnableALiAGP. Right click it and click on the lighted lightbulb.Reboot, and hey presto!It is important that anyone who suffers this problem notifies Nvidia, otherwise nothing will be done to rectify this problem in the next set of drivers.www.nvidia.comBest wishes,Chris

Hello, i have the same problem with the gf4 mx440, but the problem is only with flight simulator, look at the pics (quake III and serious sam), the reflections and lightings is ok