Sign in to follow this  

I loaded FSgenesis 75m mesh and have been seeing system lock-up,ie sound continues video freezes. It was suggexted that I post this forum and seek assistance. Runs fine with default mesh.SystemGateway P3/700 w/384 ramGeforce 256 w/nvidia 28.32? driverSoundblaster Plussliders set to 50% except mesh complexity at 90% at recommendation of Justin TymeFS2h2New card?New computer or new wife. I'll keep the wife.Any help would be appreciated.John Potter

Guest SoarPics

Hi John,I have had this happen to me twice in the past six months, both times when I tried the "latest" Nvidia drivers. No problems after I went back to the 12.41's (GF2 GTS 64MB).But I like to start with the simplest possible solutions first: In the DX Diagnostic Tool, under the "Sound" tab, check to make sure that acceleration is set at "Basic". If it is already set at "Basic" then I would look at the video drivers next.Good luck and please post back with your progress,

Isolated IRQs used detenator destroyer to uninstall newest driver and reloaded 12.41. Am still experiences locl-up at low level and default mesh. Any other susggestions?John

Guest SoarPics

And your DX Sound tab settings?Regards,

sound tab shows basic acc. Also reduced hardware accel by one notch. Still freezes 2-5 min into flight.

Guest SoarPics

OK John, now you've really got my interest...I find it hard to believe Justin's mesh is the culprit here (though I've seen stranger things). Here'e what I would do next:1)Check the setting of T&L within the sim's Display settings. Try flying with this off and on.2)Re-install DirectX3)Remove Justin's mesh and see how the system performs.4)Remove the Soundblaster and then make a test flight (you can fly w/o sound for this test).Of course, make test flights after doing each of the above (ain't this fun?).Check your CPU temps (using SciSoft Sandra or the BIOS)What OS?Are you using a video tweak utility?Also, I would reset the hardware acceleration to where it was (no sense changing too many things that don't work anyway).Will await your reply,

Greg I appreciate your help. I am running Win 98 SE and have reloaded directx8.1 with no tweaking utility. How do I measure CPU Temperatures. Is there a utility for tracking while flying?ThanksJohn

Guest SoarPics

Go here to get the Geforce Tweak Utility:http://www.guru3d.comAfter you've installed and fired it up the first time don't go adjusting a whole lot right away. Just make sure that Fastwrites and Sideband Addressing are off for now.Do a Google search for SciSoft Sandra. It's really handy. There's both freeware and shareware versions; I use the freeware. Under the "Mainboard Info" section you can see what the MB and CPU temps are. I'm sure there are other utilities out there that will allow you to monitor temps while flying, but I just check Sandra after finishing a flight (but then I'm not the guy having lock-ups). Hang in there,

Greg It looks likr the new dirextx8.1 driver, nvidia 12.41n default sliders with mesh complexity set to 80% has me in the air again. Mesh set at 90% locks up. I have flown 2 hrs in the commander 115 with out freezing from various sites and approx 1 hr low level with bell 206. I down loaded the utilities you recommended. Maybe I'll get a chance to play with then. Thanks again for the great help.John

Guest SoarPics

Great to see you're flying again, but this still seems a bit weird to me. Changing Mesh Complexity from 80% to 90% brings back the lock-ups? Me thinks there is more to this problem. Check your temps. I'll watch this thread for a few days.Good luck,

Unable to locate temperatures using SciSoft Sandra, mainboard info. Where are they shown? I downloaded a shareware version.2002 standard.

Guest SoarPics

Hi John,I have the 2001 freeware version. The Board and CPU temps are shown in the "Mainboard" section, and also in the "CPU & BIOS" section.