Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Locking Posts????

Guest stpierce

Why do you lock a post just because a person has a different opinion of how FSX works/operates? Is this forum just for the a really excited user? I have read numerous posts where the OP states that FSX runs perfectly and smoothly on his/her computer. This is a very objective statement. Some people are very satisfied sitting in front of a stuttering, hitching screen. To them, this is "as real as it gets". I doubt that 95% of the people that claim FSX runs smoothly have never seen a really smooth flight simulator in action. Just my opinion. Time to lock this thread!!

>Why do you lock a post just because a person has a different>opinion of how FSX works/operates? Is this forum just for the>a really excited user? I have read numerous posts where the OP states that>FSX runs perfectly and smoothly on his/her computer. This is a>very objective statement. Some people are very satisfied>sitting in front of a stuttering, hitching screen. To them,>this is "as real as it gets". I doubt that 95% of the people>that claim FSX runs smoothly have never seen a really smooth>flight simulator in action. Just my opinion. Time to lock this>thread!!Please refer to the Terms of Use:"Please also understand that THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FREEDOM OF SPEECH IN A PRIVATELY OWNED AND OPERATED FORUM. If you believe that you should have unfettered freedom of speach without equal responsibility for its use, then the AVSIM forums are not for you."Threads are locked when they break the terms of use or are not appropriate to the forum.

I doubt that 95% of the people that claim FSX runs smoothly have never seen a really smooth flight simulator in action.I disagree.That makes as much sense as saying:All the people whining about FSX peformance have no clue how to setup their computers for efficient operation.

In addition to what Brian stated-using a term like "a really excited user" to describe someone who enjoys or uses fsx makes about as much sense as calling those who don't use or enjoy it "hateboys". Using labels like that just don't work in a forum which is for fans of flight sims-all of them. Opinions that are expressed with malice, labels that tend to incite , or posts that have a clear intent to incite a fight get locked here. This forum is for enjoyment-not an outlet for internet rage. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Please consider these as my concerns for the value of the FSX forum to all users. I appreciate the time volunteered by the moderators and ask they review their criteria for locking and removing threads. Now, thoughts while shaving!:)The OP did not reference freedom of speech argument and quoting the terms of use was unnecessary. I'm a Admin on one of the largest automotive enthusiast websites in world (+4000 posts/day) and I understand the balance moderator's must use to keep threads and discussions from being choked with bickering. I would like to see the same diligence in removing the flaming comments "from satisfied FSX simmers" when replying to a well written negative post. That is also the job of a moderator.For the last 10 years AVSIM has always been a place where critical discussions of all versions and add-on's have been open and welcome. That is no longer the case in the FSX forum. Posts that are inflammatory, contain personal insults and/or derogatory comments should be removed. However, the criteria for the removal these days appears to be that a deadline has passed for critical comments. "Get over it, we are moving on". Finally, if a moderator is going to take the time to remove a post, they should take the time to send a PM to the OP. It is a courtesy. Again, I want to thank the moderator's for their time and efforts in keeping the site the best aviation sim site on the web. I hope there is room for improvement. :) Bob..

The use of the word RAGE to describe in-part the content of some messages critical of Microsoft is off the mark. That is like saying blowing your horn on a highway is road rage. Many people are upset with the performance of FSX. It is human nature to try to validate that state of mind by seeking like-minded people on the Internet. AVSIM attracts this portion of the customer base because Microsoft does read these forums. A result is that AVSIM appears to want to shield Microsoft from strong criticism to encourage their continued participation. This is probably a de-facto policy that is not specifically stated. So ASIM becomes a sterile utopia with only pleasant thoughts and expressions. The unnumbered unhappy customers occasionally surface only to face a myriad of responses telling them that FSX works ok and that negative messages are not appreciated. Sounds rather like a basis for a B sci-fi movie.If I were running the site I would have an area for complaints about sacred cows such as Microsoft and freeware. There the rule would be that all messages are pre-read and any nastiness merits a private message asking for a re-write with suggested language. A rubber room with a proctor.Oh well back to the main forum to see what happened to my troll(ing) message.Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

You want free speech?You want to know what I think of posters like you? Really?:)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Dick-I said "internet rage" not rage. Kinda the same as car rage.You know the difference, but seems some don't.I keep seeing this rhetoric about not allowing negativity. A simple search of the forums will show much-quite a bit.The posts which are locked-not deleted, have clear reasons-usually an escalation into poor behavior or a clear potential.Since they are not deleted also feel free to search those. There are some names I can give you-one has been particularly nasty and negative in the last few days to the point of not only quite a few simmers requesting his threads be locked-but that he be permanently removed.Yet his posts remain.The last most obvious thing-this is a free site. If people don't like it the way it is run-they don't have to come here-there are plenty of alternatives.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Bob-Since this is addressing the fsx forum-may I point out that the notion of "removing posts" is not what really goes on here-unless there is blatant profanity or something extremely offensive. The only post I can remember removing since I started moderating was recently in the improvement request thread where the poster did this-and the ground rules of that thread stated that posts such as that would be removed.Posts have been locked when in our perspective they are heading south-and sometimes from both sides. Usually they are preceeded by complaints (alerts) from fellow simmers. That gets our heads up as we do have day jobs. When locked They are left to view in all their glory-and with a simple search you can still pull them up. Yes, I am sure there are some where you can say after the fact that we perhaps overeacted-and perhaps we did, but I think the majority you will see a clear reason....and they are left-not removed.So I have a little trouble understanding how avsim doesn't allow the expression of negativity. It is all there to see with a simple search, and not just in locked threads.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/