Sign in to follow this  
Guest dfoulk

odd internet log off shutdown

Guest dfoulk

Here's the deal,When I disconnect from the net, regular modem at 56.6, my machine shuts down, everything goes black. Have to hit reset button to return to life, which brings up the scan disk admonition of incorrect win shut down. No power saving settings enabled.It has been doing this for a couple of weeks, but can't figure what is going on. I did not change any settings, and have checked everything. I even reformatted, reinstalled WIN98SE, but no change.P3 1000512 SDRAM40 gig IBM HDSB16PCIShuttle AV11 MBCould my cheap PCI modem be flaking out? No problem when I run diagonistics on the modem. No problems show up with any of the components. Ever hear of anything like this?Thanks,Den

Go to your modem properties and see if it has any shutdown/sleep or startup on ring capabilities. If so, try changing those settings. Also check the modem internally to your computer for any external wires/cables coming from the modem to a plug on the motherboard. If it is disconnected, reconnect it or vice versa, then try the internet routine.Check your BIOS settings for wake on ring for the IRQ your modem is using.

Guest dfoulk

Thanks for your suggestions!They are good ones, but it must be something else. It must be the modem, or the MB. I swapped PCI slots on the Modem, and it worked OK once, but it is up to it's old antics. Sort of a puzzler. I will have to do some tests with the machine on for a short time, verses a longer time.Thanks again :)Den

I haven't ever experienced this one. Usually most unexpected shutdowns can be attributed to the power saving settings which you say you've already checked. Have you used the device manager to make sure you don't have any IRQ conflicts?

Guest dfoulk

Scott,No conflicts, just weird behavior. I am leaning toward pointing toward the MB. After I get past the first boot problem mentioned below, the internet log off is ok when you first turn the box on, but if it is on for a half hour or more, it acts up. Before it started this deal when I log off, the computer started hanging at the window's desktop on the first boot, with the hour glass just sitting there, or it would hang when you tried to open up a program, but a hard reboot got it going ok. All of these symptoms , even after a reformat and reinstall of everything. No virus, no conflicts, HD is new, and checks out ok, in fact everything checks ok, but it just does not work corectly. I think I will return to Intel chip sets as long as I am running an Intel chip, presently a P3 1 gig. It is a clear case of some sort of affliction :)Den

A long shot Den, but do you have a temp monitor on your cpu? The things you describe sound like maybe you need to make sure the cpu is overheating. Possibly a cpu fan not quite doing the job. Or possibly a temp monitor that has the ability to shut your computer down. Like I said, a long shot, but something else you can look at if you haven't already.

Today I bought a pair of RIMMS that will post, boot, run a minute or two, then spontaneously reboot. It was easy to see as I placed them in a currently running just fine thank you system.Look everywhere.bt

Guest dfoulk

Still looking high and low :)Thanks to everybody for the suggestions! I will post when I find the culprit.Den