Sign in to follow this  
Steve Cannell

Need suggestion on bios settings for new cpu ?

Howdy :-waveI sure would appreciate some suggestions as to the best bios settings for my new Athlon XP 1900+ cpu. I sucessfuly updated the bios on my A7V 133 200mhz FSB MBO so it would except the new cpu but it won't boot with the auto cpu settings. I set it to 1200 mhz for the time being until I get some help.ThanksSteveCYYZ

I have an 1800XP+ but the procedure should be the same for setting your clock multiplier for the correct frequency. I am using the Soyo Dragon+ and here are its instructions:CPU Frequency - Record the working frequency of your CPU that should be clearly marked on the CPU cover.For the 1800XP+ the working frequency is 1.533GHz. The Soyo has a 266MHz Front Side Bus DDR transfer on Athlon but the real frequency is 133MHz. Therefore, 133 x 11.5 = 1.533GHz.In the MOBO part number you have A7V 133 200MHz. I don't know whether your front side bus is running at 133MHz or 100MHz (1/2 of 200MHz). You will have to determine which. You need to start with the working frequency of the chip in either case. If you already installed the chip, I wouldn't remove the heatsink now to read the frequency. Look for it on the packaging or go to www.amd.com . After you determine the front side bus speed and the working frequency, it is just the multiplier that you need to adjust.

Thanks for the reply. :-)Turns out flashing the bios wasn't enough as my mbo revision # falls short. Had to spend the next few days searching for a new mbo that would except athlonXP and my sdram. Just couldn't bring myself to replacing my 768 mb with DDR.I choose the MSI K7T Turbo2. Everything installed fine and it rebooted to the existing XP OS without problems.I only wish I could see more performance improvemnt over my previous 1.333, oh well. :-)Mybe I will look into overclocking. :-)SteveCYYZ