Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Question on Onboard Sound vs Sound card.

My new (to be) system has an on-board sound chip (ABit BD-7). I might choose to use a sound card, which I have from an older system. If so, should I install Win XP without the card in the machine, then disable the on-board sound, then add the card? I figure having the card in the machine when I load Win XP will only cause confusion when the on-board chip is also detected.Thanks for any advice.Bruce.

Guest Muppet22

HiI was in a similar position to you. After I put my soundcard into the MOBO, I just disabled the onboard chip in the BIOS then when Windows loaded I just installed the drivers and so far everything has been running like clockwork :-)Tom

Thanks Tom,I gather you had a mobo (BIOS) feature which diabled the sound card?I must look for one on mine. Still reading the manual :)Thanks,Bruce.

Guest Muppet22

Yeah that's rite Bruce I disabled it in the BIOS :-)Tom

If you disable the onboard sound in Bios before loading Windows, it eliminates extra files being loaded onto your harddrive that may never be used. Therefore, if I was definitely going to use an add-on sound card, I would disable prior to loading Windows.