Sign in to follow this  

HD changeover assistance requested

Good day,I currently have 2 HD's on my system.WD 15.4 G partitioned to C:(10 G) and E:(5 G)WD 7 G D:E: is for FS2002 onlyI just purchased a WD 40G HD and am gonna do a dual boot withW98SE and XP Promy question is:Is there a program I can use to transfer my FS2002 installation (and other apps) to the new 40G (which will be the only HD) without a total re-installation of FS?my current partition plan for the 40G is:C: Win98SE (OS and swap file only)D: Apps and Progs W98SEE: WinXPF: FS2002G: downloads and miscAny tips on partition sizes..etc would be much appreciated.I've perused message boards and forums..and now have become more uncertain of the correct process since everyone has different opinions..so I figured the FS community gurus would be the best place to seek info. :-zhelpCJ PuttKTPAMy specsAthlon XP+2000 no o/c,stock HS/fanEpOx 8KHA+ a/133 (latest BIOS)SB Live X-Gamer512 Mushkin DDR 2100 High Perf 2.5Linksys 10/100 NICIomega ZIPCD 86x4x32Voodoo5 5500 AGPVIA 4.38Win98SE

CJ,You can copy over the entire FS folder without reinstalling.I reinstalled Windows many times and not needed to install again.I found some problems, if you run Squawk Box it won't find the install because it's lacking a entry in the registry. Also, some .exe files for scenery won't install as they don't see the FS2002 install.But if that's not an issue, it's a peice of cake.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Hi John,Thanks for the info, that is certainly good news, as I have ALOT of add-ons and tweaks. I suppose an edit of the registry to change the FS2002 dir entries to the new Drive would help, so I'll try that.Thanks alot!CJ PuttKTPA

CJ,I know what you mean. I am getting a new mainboard today, so I need to format also. It's a real pain in the butt needing to install everything again, I'm like you and have plenty of add-ons. I try to avoid it as much as I can.But my partition for FS is getting eaten, so I think I'll do a merge of two partitions and a fresh install of FS.Good luck :)

Cheers,

John Tavendale

John, What size of a partition are you planning on using for FS alone. I made a 5 gig for my most recent install and the space is fading fast. I was thinking along the lines of 10 gigs or so?Take CareCJ PuttKTPA>>But my partition for FS is getting eaten, so I think I'll do a merge of two partitions and a fresh install of FS.

CJ,Mine is 6.48GB, thinking of making it 10.I did my format, had some problems with my RAM and motherboard not liking the 3rd slot being used. Lots of blue screens.. somehow I managed to lose my D drive will ALL my zips, drivers etc :(

Cheers,

John Tavendale