Sign in to follow this  
Steve Cannell

Could you recommend a MBO ?

Howdy :-waveAs I mentioned in an earlier post I tried upgrading to XP1900+ last week. Put it on a MSI k7V turbo2 or somethng like that because it would take the 768 mb's of sdram I already had. Didn't think I could really afford the DDR stuff. I found however that I didn't get much of a performance boost in FS as compared to my original 1.333. In fact I didn't notice much differance at all. I ran out and bought it because of the performance hit I got using the new TTools and WorldAI plans. So I took it back.Any ideas as to why I might not have seen an improvement?If I were to give it another shot and get the new DDR ram what MBO would you recommend ?Your help would be much appreciated.SteveCYYZAMD 1.333768 sdram 133ASUS A7V133 bios rev 1008AGeforce 3 (23.11, quincunx)SB Live Value updated XP driversWIN XPSidewinder Precision 2CH USB PedalsFS2002 all sliders maxed

Steve,Thnakfully, I've had some recent help in this area (from this forum, actually) so I'm feeling more comfortable about a recommendation.After much research, I've settled on a Gigabyte GA-7VRXP, which I plan on purchasing next week. I did my research on motherboards.org and tomshardware.com, and they are both in agreement...this board rocks. It's based on the KT333 chipset, and from what I've read, it allows you to run PC2100 or PC2700 DDR RAM. DDR is worth it, especially the PC2700, although it is a bit pricey (about $160 for 512 MB )And it's reasonably priced as well, about $240 with motherboard, processor (AMD XP 1800+) and cooling fan (Volcano 6) at partspc.comHope this helps,Chris :-wave

Hi Steve, Go for an ASUS A7V333 DDR board with 512MB PC2700 CAS 2 Ram, that should sort ye out :-)Bill

I second what Bill said, go for the Asus. I have an A7V333 and it's great. It allows you to run both PC2100 and PC2700 and above DDR.If you're going to be buying new DDR I suggest you look into nothing lower than PC2700, it's not that much more expensive than PC2100.Stick to some of the 'brand' name RAM sticks, such as Crucial, Corsair or Samsung. Samsung is pretty good value and an excellent performer, you need to make sure you're not buying fake samsung though, there is LOTS floating around now. Corsair is a little better, it's based on Samsung made modules, but you'll end up paying a few more bucks, but you get a lifetime warranty.Hope this helps a little :)

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

..and I'll second what John just stated.Use a name brand memory stick, like Crucial, Kingston, or Corsair. This is one of your most important pieces of your system, so don't cut corners here. And do get the 2700 if at all possible.

On my first try at it FPS seemed to really not improve much at all. Any ideas as to why I might not have seen any improvement ?ThanksSteveCYYZ

Not enough info, but anytime you are trying to change a complex system to get more thruput, and you fail...you have not been working on the bottleneck.Perhaps your memory, or something else is limiting you. perhaps your powersupply is insufficient. perhaps you have the fps locked in the program and you forgot to raise the limit! perhaps you used to get 20fps, and you now get 24fps, but you expected more. (4 is %20 of 20, and you have %20 more clock cycles per second with the xp1900+.)B