Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Any info on a good Windows XP forum?

Thanks to all those who have been answering my issues in getting a new system up and running. I've been running into lots of issues getting WinXP to install- both as the only OS on C:, and now as a multi-boot on D:. I have some of those 'ever-so-interesting' "stop" codes that I thought I'd try and get info on. Any good forums would be appreciated.For anyone interested here: I did finally get WinXP installed, and it even appears now to boot reliably, after a dozen failed attempts at installation. Each install would start with the message "One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency". I have no idea of what that means, but the first stop code included a message about running CHKDSK /F; which I did from Win98, which in turn invoked SCANDISK, which found some boot sector issues on D:. However, every subsequent attempt at installation included that "...to be checked for consistency" message.I would get into various phases of install of XP before a stop code, one even got me into "less than 1 minute" and then a stop code. Most included this phrase "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", plus a stop code. After 13 attempts, I finally got it to install, now it appears to boot OK (10 out of 10 times). I just know it will show up again though!My system:ABit BD7IIP4 1.8A (512K cache)GeForce 3 Ti200I have yet to install a sound card and NIC, plus various drivers for Intel that come with the motherboard.Thanks again for any XP forum info.Bruce.

Bruce,I had this exact same problem when I changed motherboards. At the time I was running 3 sticks of PC2100 RAM. It seems my motherboard didn't like the 3rd RAM slot being used causing Windows to not boot, and also the problems you're now having with installation.Try moving your RAM sticks around, or take one out if you're running three and see if that's any help.You may also like to pay www.tweakxp.com a visit. They have a forum etc that may provide more help than I can :)

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

I have just one stick of DDR PC-2100 (512M), although I did have some POST errors that may have been memory related, and then mysteriously stopped. I wonder if I do have some bad RAM. I might try purchasing another stick.Thanks- going home for Christmas this year? if so, I', doing th big migration home (to Greymouth) for a few weeks, so might catch up with you. I see UA are flying the B777 from LAX, a long trip for a twin!Thanks again,Bruce.

Hey Bruce,Maybe the slot it's in is causing trouble, putting it into another slot might work. I saw a memory tester somewhere, I'll try and track it down for you.I am thinking of heading home for Xmas, It'd be good. I haven't spent a Xmas there for a few years now. It'd be good to meet you :) I spent a whole hour in Greymouth last Oct when I took my grandmother on the Trans Alpine.I remember seeing UAL were starting to fly their 772 into Auckland when I was looking at tickets to the US.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Hi John,Thanks for any info on the meemory tester.Let's keep in touch on Christmas! (seems wierd talking about that with summer temps here :) )Bruce.