Sign in to follow this  
Guest georgi55

How to use 2 monitors on GF3. (DVI and VGA)

Guest georgi55

I bought DVI to VGA converter, removed my PCI card, and now that I see exaclty same thing on both monitors, there is no use of it.How do I set up so I can use DVI output as my 2nd monitor? The Nveiw utility never showed up either.I have PNY Vetro GF3.Plase help me.Thanks in advance.

Guest SD Sim

Hi Georgi,I'd be happy to help. First though, if you have the second monitor set up correctly (i.e. extended your desktop to the second monitor) then an identical image on the second monitor is exactly what you should see. Now, if you launch MSFS, you should have the sim on your primary monitor, while the second monitor should still display your desktop. Now you can undock your instruments (radiostack, GPS, etc.) and drag them over to the second monitor. If this isn't what is happening, then can you explain what does happen? This will make it easier to troubleshoot.As for nView, this utility will only function if you do not extend your desktop to the second monitor. I've tried this utility, but didn't find it too helpful for my purposes.Let us know how it goes. :-wave

Guest georgi55

Thank you for reply.untill now, I had GF3 card, using VGA output, and RIVA TNT 16MB PCI card using it for 2nd monitor.I've been using it by extending the desktop with no problems at all. (only that I can only use drivers that came with CD because RIVA TNT wont work with newer drivers)I bought DVI to VGA converter so I can connect my 2nd monitor to my GF3, and get rid of oold slow RIVA TNT.I took out RIVA TNT, conected the DVI converter and my 2nd monitor,so now what I have is 2 monitors connected to 1 card.One to VGA directry, another to DVI throguh converter.However, windows doesnt recognize the DVI output as 2nd monitor, but just as 2nd output (like TV-out), so there is no way to extend the desktop.I wonder if this was the way it was designed...I saw an ATi with DVI and VGA output having 2 monitors on the box picture and each of themshowing different screen so I thought that would be possible with GF3 too.Just to clerify, I have GF3 installed, one monitor connected to VGA, another to DVI throght converter, and both of them are showing exactly same picture.

Guest SD Sim

Hmm, very strange. On my Ti4600 I also have VGA and DVI outs. I too use a DVI to VGA adapter, and the second monitor works as expected. Perhaps this is a limitation of the GF3? I honestly don't know. When you launch MSFS, does it then show the same screen on both monitors? The only thing I can think of is to remove your drivers and then reinstall them. I'll give this some more thought and let you know if I come up with anything else.

Guest georgi55

Thnaks. I will give it few more tries with drivers.Will contact PNY tomorrow too.Thanks again

Guest georgi55

Nope - doenst work. Tried 5 drivers, same resutls.Now that GF4 4200 is out and I got this GF3 20 days ago, Im thinking of returning it and getting 4200.Do you think its worht extra $70? (and hepefuly 2nd monitor will work just like your 4600)

Georgi,The GF3 card does not have a dual-head capability so you won't be able to use it for two separate displays. Only the GeForce4 cards have a dual-head capability.I can understand how you have been confused as the GF3 card has both VGA and DVI sockets but these are only there to allow either a analogue or digital connection.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest georgi55

Thank you Ray. Im off to store to return GF3, pay $70 extra and get 4200.

Hi Georgi,Thank you Ray. Im off to store to return GF3, pay $70 extra and get 4200Good choice! That will definitely overcome your problem. Undocking the panels and moving them over to the secondary display does make FS more enjoyable and has no effect on frame rates.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest georgi55

>Hi Georgi, >>Thank you Ray. Im off to store to return GF3, pay $70 >extra and get 4200 >>Good choice! That will definitely overcome your problem. >Undocking the panels and moving them over to the secondary >display does make FS more enjoyable and has no effect on >frame rates. >>Cheers, Yap, as I mentioned I've been using 2 monitors since 2 months ago, and sure it does make FS2002 more enjoyable.With PCI RVA TNT 16MB, I could only put panels because views had effect on frame rate.I cant wait till I get home - in 5 hours and go get GF4 4200 ;)

Hi Georgi,With PCI RVA TNT 16MB, I could only put panels because views had effect on frame rate.I hope I'm not going to spoil your anticipation but you will still only be able to display panels and other 2D images such as FSNav on the secondary display. If you open a second 3D view and move it across it will kill your frame rates. Windows cannot display two or more acccelerated 3D views - only one.Once we have multiple processors or a more sophisticated OS or graphics cards then maybe it will be possible but until then you will have to make do with a single 3D view.Despite those limiations it is still very enjoyable. I've been using dual-display for nearly 4 years now. Previous card was the Matrox G400 - curent one is Creative GeForce4 Ti4600. Very impressive :-)Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest georgi55

Oh well, still one 4200 is better. ;)Thanks again to all of you.