Sign in to follow this  

Trying to find the cause of pauses

I have recently upgraded to a Nvidia card Ti4600 with 128mb. I put all the FS settings to MAX and get frame rates varying from 11 upto about 20 in and around Meigs. That rate is O.K. for me as I get so much more in the scene. But I find, perhaps it was there before, occasional 0.5 sec(appx) pauses (maybe 3 in a take-off run at Meigs). I am assuming that this is not related to the graphics card and perhaps disc access or main board memory speed. I am not quick enough to spot if the disk access at the point of the pause, tho' it is being accessed at other times without associated pauses. This combined with a pause sometime when switching views and, as has been mentioned here, when ATC is about to speak.I would love to clear these some way, as it is the last thing preventing me being able to use FS 'to the MAX' finally!Hoping some one can offer advice or a resource to look at?Nigel

John,Sorry to be so slow in responding.My OS is ME, I have a 1.1Ghz proc and 256RAM the g/card is a Gainward Geforce 4 Powerpack 'Golden sample' w/128mb overclocked to 302mhz core and 648mhz memory.FS was recently reinstalled on a fairly clean and defrag'd hard disk so there is about 3gb free space.The pauses are not frequent enough to ruin FS, but it takes the edge off, as maybe twice in a T/O run the plane lurches. It happens more frequently in flight but it's less obvious due to distance from any ground features.Nigel

Okay, with that in mind I it could be the amount of system RAM you have. I remember when I was running 256 for a week I couldn't sim much at all, it was stuttering horribly. When I installed another stick to make it 512 it performed much better.Do you run much in the background, ie MSN/ICQ etc? Try getting a program called End It All it closes all the non important things running in the background and frees up memory. Also, do you have lots of icons on your desktop and start menu? They take up their fair share of RAM, slashing them to the ones you use most often will also help. Regular defrags also assist in smoother performance.If you can afford it, I'd suggest getting another 256MB of memory.I think you can find End It All at places like Tucows, Download.com etc. If not, let me know and I'll search for my copy and send it your way.Hope this helps :)

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

John,I do appreciate your quick come back.There I was content that 256 was fine! But if you think 512 will make a difference I am sure I can afford doubling the mem.I had (as mentioned) defrag'd before reinstalling FS. I also have 'End it All' but found that some of the things I was deleting (not explorer or systray) made FS run much more slowly! Proper evaluation would have taken too long. So I manual drop a few things from the System tray.I hadn't considered icon and menus to be significant memory users, but I can certainly trim some.Thanks againNigel

Hi Nigel,I found I got a lot of pauses as well with a similar system to yours (but only 192MB RAM). I found a lot of them were sound related (.wav files are quite big, and moving a lot of them around - especially during take-off and landing - will take it's toll on your system). If you're flying add-on planes like PIC or PSS Airbus, for example, you could try substituting their sound folders with the default 737 one. This brought an improvement for me. Then I found an old sound card from my wife's computer and installed that. Although 5 years old, it outperforms the onboard chip on my 9-month-old computer...Hope this helps,Cheers,Gosta.

Hello Nigel,Nigel, I am very curious what your system's specs are. I have also short pauses. Especially when I am interacting with the ATC. I have this issue since I had FS2002 last year November. I have done literally everything to solve it but till now without succes. Today I went to my brother to install FS2002 on his system (1000MHz Athlon, Asus A7V266...fast system...faster than mine) and guess what......he has the same issue....ATC pauses....hmmmm...what is going on? Is it the HardDisc, Chipset, Videocard, Motherboard...or Microsoft in relation with the AMD proc???? Or am I to critical....but than I am not the only one! Please Nigel, give me your details! I hope we can help each other!Best Regards from Amsterdam, HollandFrankOh...my specsT-bird 800MHzAsus A7V KT133 rev 1.02, VIA 4.38512Mb pc-133Asus Gforce 2 MX 32mb, Detonator 12.4120 Gb Maxtor 7200rpm ATA-100SB 1024 LIVE!CD-ROM 52xCD-RW Lite-On 24/10/40Win 98 SEPS I am thinking of buying a new core for my pc....new mobo, proc and memory....will this solve the problem?????