Sign in to follow this  

I need Opinions please!

Guest SD Sim

Hi Bruno, There are many people here that can help you find the best computer. The only catch is that we need to know which particular model your interested in. Your links are to the main page for each manufacturer, and all three do provide a variety of systems. What are the particular models you're considering? If you don't have any particular model in mind, no problem, there is more advice available on CPU/memory/graphics cards than you can shake a stick at. You can get a good start by checking the archives. Look at this post by Elrond Elvish to get you started. Max Cowgill and Paul Leatzaw (PaulL01) are also good sources for information. Do an author search for any of these three and you can spend days reading about possible computer configurations. Good luck :-)

I totally agree with SD Sim. If you are not going to build your own computer, then you need to determine what you want in the computer and what you are going to use it for. Stay away from the packaged deals from any of the vendors. There is a very low profit margain in selling computers so they are using low-end parts to sell you that 599.99 deal.I would visit each vendors website, look at what they have to offer, then customize it with different options, reprice it, and see what it would cost, print out the quote. You are not under any obligation until you choose.Things to stay away from:Power supplies less than 300w, really need something better than 350w and up. On-board anything, sound, NIC, graphics adapter. Graphics adapters with "MX" in their model number.If I was buying from a vendor, I would also buy the 3yr warranty. Another option is to visit your local computer store and ask how much would they cost to build your dream system.Another vendor to look at: www.micronpc.com

Hi, Sorry for my late respond I was away from home. Well primary the system shoudn

W. Sieffert, see my post above.Thank you!

I like the Alienware system because you know what parts are being put in your box. I don't have any experience with the NVidia nForce controller chips since the units I use have VIA controllers. The price is not cheap for this unit.The problem I have with the Dell until is which P4 2GHz are they going to install, 512KB L2 Cache for 2GHz and Faster, or 256KB Cache for 2GHz and Slower. You really want the 512KB L2 Cache. Someone was not pleased on this forum when they found out dell gave them the lesser unit.You didn't give much detail about the Gateway, so I don't know.I personally build my own computers and could outfit as good a unit as the Alienware for probably $1500US. The only problem with own builts are YOU are responsible for putting it together, making sure the software is installed correctly, and setting it up. You also don't get a long warranty on parts.

Bruno. I don't know why you wish to buy a pre-assembled pc. That

An alternative to the Alienware computer is the Falcon Northwest. Check out their website and you will be offered a selection criteria which includes simulation/race car driving. They aren't cheap, but they use top-grade components. I personally like the AMD XP2100 with a ASUS A73333 motherboard and DDR PC2700 memory. The XP2200 is only slightly faster and is brand new, so top dollar and unknown potential problems. I have had excellent reliability from my Dell sytem, but when it comes time to upgrade, you can't fit a new motherboard in the case, and Dell doesn't sell much in the way of upgrades.You can build your own system, just be sure to do your research to get a compatable CPU/Motherbord/CPU Cooler/Memory combination. Also be sure to get a good case and power supply. Check out Tom's Hardware site and Neoseeker for excellent reviews on hardware. If you decide to build your own, try to find a friend who has experience and is willing to lend a hand. Remember that many stores will try to sell whatever they have in stock, so don't rely on what a salesperson tells you.What type of flight controls will be using? If you already own some CH Products gameport equipment, it may be limited as to button programing if you use Windows XP.Dale

btacon, The problem is that I crashed a GeForce3 installing her by my own :( and you know after that I decide to not do things that I

Hi Tanker, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your information, really apreciate! I check Falcon Northwest web site @ http://www.falcon-nw.com/ right? They are very customizables like AlienWare, that

You will pay a premium for both Alienware and Falcon Northwest, but the system components will be "well matched" to each other and should provide much better performance than cheaper systems. They both provide 1 year service with optional extra cost for additional years. The reviews I have read seem favorable.Will the money be well spent? If you are like me, you will do a major upgrade every 2 to 3 years. In the case of my Dell (a good computer for the money), I have to start over. In the case of Alienware or Falcon NW, you can change video card, sound cards, even install a new motherboard and processor (or have some computer upgrader do it for you) and chances are your power supply, case, hard drive(s) will work. If you are a computer novice or don't have the time and patience to assemble a computer yourself, both offer reliable systems that will get you up and flying in minimum time.In my heart, I want to build my own system - but my wife says she can't stand the week or so of my frustrations at trying to get evrything to work exactly the way I want it to. In the meantime, I'm saving some money and doing all the reading I can.Dale

Absolutely...that is why Dell, Compaq, Gateway etc exist. No slight intended towards your plans in any way.Good Luck!bt

If I had to make my choice right now - I'd choose the Falcon NW. The Alienware would be a close second. The reason is I prefer the AMD XP2100 CPU and Falcon offers it with an ASUS board that uses the VIA 3333 chipset. Alienware uses the NVIDIA n chipset which, according to comparisons I've seen in Tom's Hardware, does not perform as well in DIRECTX. The VIA chipset uses PC2700 memory while the Nvidia uses PC2100 memory (slightly slower).Now, before someone blows me away, let me say that I know both systems are available with the P4 2.53 GB processor, which would be faster than my choice. I'm looking at a system which would give a good balance of performance for the dollar and one that I might realistically afford.In both systems I would go with the Nvidia graphics board, probably the TI 4400, although the TI 4600 is the way to go, if you can afford it.One other factor is that I have read several reports that the Alienware system is fairly noisy. It uses a good ANTECH case and power supply and moves a lot of air (a good thing) but the fan noise can be annoying. Falcon uses the Coolmaster case and is supposed to be quieter. In fairness, I saw an Alienware in operation at BEST BUY and it didn't seem all that loud.On both sytems, I would only use 512 MB of RAM. You can always add more later and FS2002 seems to perform well with that amount.I wouldn't buy another DELL because you can't upgrade the motherboard later. I would consider having a local shop build one for me if the price was reasonable and I could specify the components.Dale