Sign in to follow this  

No 1600x1200x32 or above option for my new Nv 4600

Guest sgreenwood

Rob,If you have 32-bit color, the shadows should be transparent, i.e., you should be able to see the ground textures in the shadow area. 16-bit shadows are solid black.As suggested, you may be able to force 32-bit color for testing by editing the fs2002.cfg, but the results are temporary: &l;DISPLAY&r;Device=NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200Mode=1600x1200x32...I believe the only way you can get the 32-bit option to appear in the FS2002 Options/Display/Hardware menu is to reinstall FS2002. Since this can be a major project, you might try this approach first, if you have sufficient disk space:1) Rename the FS2002 folder, or move it to another drive (Windows will complain about registry entries, ignore it and continue)2) Install FS2002 as usual3) Delete the newly installed version4) Rename the original FS2002 folder back to FS2002 (or move it back to the original drive location)With luck, this will update FS2002 with the correct display information.Good luck, Stevewww.fs-traveler.com

Steve; there's no need to do any reinstall. I doubt that'd do anything but cause a lot of grief and unnecessary work. The change to 32bit via the fs2002 cfg file is permanent. That is till you want to edit something in the Options/Display settings. Then it's just a quick step to reset the 32bit color again in the cfg file. Stay out of the Display settings and it stays at 16x12x32 color no matter how many times you enter/exit/restart/ etc. OR set a higher res if your card and monitor can handle it. No problem going into settings to change ATC, sound, etc. Just stay out of the display settings unless you need to change something, then reset in the cfg file again. Any time you change out your video card, you should rename or delete that cfg file and let the sim build a new one with the correct video card information. Also, anytime you have trouble with the sim starting or running correctly, that is the first thing to trouble shoot. Having to reinstall is very rare and usually only required if you delete a necessary file and then only if you cannot replace it from the CD.

Guest sgreenwood

Hi mgdbottled,I appreciate the feedback, but I was too stubborn to settle for your solution at the time. My FS installation was not too complex, so I decided to fix it before going much further.>there's no need to do any reinstall. I doubt that'd >do anything but cause a lot of grief and unnecessary work. Actually, I have done the reinstall, and it does work. I tried several approaches to installing on a test machine first. I thought the desktop settings at the time of install might have been the problem, but they make no difference. The options in the Display/Hardware menu seem to depend on a combination of values including information stored during installation as well as the current desktop setting. I am sure there is a value that can be edited somewhere (the Registry?), but I could not find it.>The change to 32bit via the fs2002 cfg file is permanent. >That is till you want to edit something ...Exactly! At that point, the sim uses the resolution selected in the Hardware menu, and if 1600x1200x32 is not included, it cannot be used. I did not want to have to keep editing the cfg file and restarting the sim to restore the setting.>Any time you change out your video card, you should rename or delete >that cfg file and let the sim build a new one with the correct >video card information. Sorry, but if this were true, why do you have to continue to edit the cfg file?Since I've solved the problem on my machine, I can do no further testing, but it seems to be caused by installation of video cards, or possibly drivers. I am not curious enough to start swapping cards to learn more right now. :)So, while reinstalling is not pleasant, it does seem to be the only way to put the 1600x1200x32 option back in the menu. Whether that is worth the trouble remains a personal decision, but is it an alternative to the suggested work-arounds.Cheers, Steve

Hey guys, I went into the fs2002 config file and changed it to 1600x1200x32 but it still shows x16 when running is fs2002. hmmmm I probably need to use earlier drivers.

Guest sgreenwood

Hi Robbie,>Hey guys, I went into the fs2002 config file and changed it >to 1600x1200x32 but it still shows x16 when running is >fs2002. How do you know it is x16? Editing the cfg file will not change the menu options, but it should change the resolution used when you start the sim. You will have to look for visual clues without going into the menus. For example, are the shadows of buildings still black, or do they become transparent when the mode is changed to x32? >hmmmm I probably need to use earlier drivers. It would be interesting to know if that solves the problem. Steve

Hey Steve,You are absolutely correct. That did the trick! It did change the resolution although not the menu option.Thanks,Rob

Guest jase439

Arrr...all this hoopla was over getting 1600x1200x32 to show up in a menu? I thought all you cared about was actually *RUNNING* at 1600x1200x32. Kriminey Pete! Who cares if its in the FS menu if you can run at the resolution?*shakes head*Meanwhile, back in reality...

No, my hope was to be able to run at 1600x1200x32. Now it does despite it not showing up in the menu.Thanks guys for all your help