Sign in to follow this  

Which video card for a Celeron 900 with 448 Mb RAM ???

Dear gents,I am in front of a critical question...And I really need some help !I have a PC with an old Abit BH6 board, a quite old Celeron 900 (running at 1Ghz), with 448 Mb RAM and currently a TNT 16Mb video card.As you can suspect, I am far to be able to max out the details sliders, and I am only flying in 1024x768, 16 bits...So I'd like to change my video card, to get something better, but I don't want to spend money that would be hidden by the rest of my hardware (I mean if I by a Geforce4 TI4600, I will never get the more out of it).I am hesitating between an ATI8500LE 64Mb (at best 150/160

Guest georgi55

Ti4200 would be your best choice. Dont go with 8500.If you want something below $100, GF3 is good enough too, especialy if you are only gonna use it for FS2002.I wonder why prices over there are so high. I got GF4 TI4400 for $199.

I would recommend the GF2 TI 4200. There is a large selection of drivers to choose from and plenty of "tweaks" availble to fine tune it to your system. My son has also had success with a GF3 TI 500, which is cheaper and should also work well with your system. Don't expect huge increases in frame rates, but the images and effects will be much better quality and the sim shold have fewer hesitations.Dale

For a Celeron, don't expect much in performance increase or really with any processor for that matter just upgrading the video card. As a matter of fact if you're going to do a video upgrade, just get a GF3 and save your money for your new gaming rig. The difference between the GF3 and GF4 series is in primarily performance, not texture quality although quality might be slightly better with GF4. A GF3 Ti200 w/ 64 MB of memory is really the max I recommend for a Celeron or other budget processor as you really won't be able to get the most out of it anyway. If you are going to build your new gaming rig yourself, then you can go all out on your card to say a Ti4200 or Ti4400 w/ 128 MB DDR and just transfer it over to your new system when you do. It really all depends on what you're going to do when you get your new rig. Tim Kotula