Sign in to follow this  

VFR PHOTOGRAPHIC SCENERY

I havent seen any comments or posts about vfr photographic scenerysince its releaseI have the first release east and south east england,and cannot imagine flying anywhere else,its everybit as good if not better than they say,Flying at 2000 to 3000 ft you see golfcourses,parks , rail ,lines,freeways ,rivers the lot, even you own house,and the scenery is clearer than any i have used with no blurries ,a bit expensive but worth every pennyIlive in Australia and had it delivered within four days ,i used a company called computermate,their service was next to none.May i say i have no connection with any of the above except for being a satisfied customer Donwindows xp homenvidia geforce4 ti 4400mobo-8k3a i+ ddr333512 ddr ram pc210 hyudaiamd cpu xp2000seagate barracuda 40gig 7200rpm harddrive

Guest Twister

Hi Don,Photographic scenery is the future of serious flight simulation.The immersion factor experienced with a photographic (hi-res) scenery is much greater than Autogen type scenery.The thrill of being able to fly VFR with pilotage techniques, recognizing familiar landscapes and landmarks is really something else.All we need know is a software that can compress the huge files required for photographic scenery...Twister

There are lots at www.visualflight.comwould send some personel ones but dont knowhow Don

Guest bones

... and someone to teach FS users how to map read.. :-)

Hmm, interestingly I got it at the weekend (after exchanging CFS3 - cos it ran horribly on my system despite doing all the recommended tweaks) and it's brilliant!Fortunately I live in South East England, so I can take off from Fairoaks airport, fly on a southerly heading, and pass over my house! You can make out the estate I live on, it's not really really clear, but you can quite clearly make out the area it's in.It's real VFR flying, cos I can follow railway lines and major roads, and work out where I am.I haven't done an approach into any of the major airports yet - but I see from the box that London looks really good.Okay, so there aren't any night textures (which means you have to disable the scenery if you're flying at night) but it has heightened my enjoyment of FS2002 - and there's no frame rate hit whatsoever.The only other drawback is that it takes the textures a long time to load when you start a flight, and you shouldn't switch views too much, as it tends to cause stutters.But yes, I am a happy customer.Oh, and I can see my mother in law's house as well - so make that another minor drawback!Robhttp://www.btinternet.com/~rob.corp/images/sig.jpg

My copy is just as good!I have been flying around my home town Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk, and the surrounding area. I am able to recognise many landmarks, and to follow roads, rivers, and railway lines. I am looking forward to volume 2 which will cover the area in which I now live.Definitely a new level for flight simulation.Tony

Guest Richard_H

You almost have me sold on this.Few questions though.Does anyone know if this is compatible with Lago's or other terrain meshs, or are the two mutually exclusive?Also, you mention a long load wait, is that seconds or minutes (or worse :) )?You also mention stutters when changing views. What is the spec of your PC in terms of Mhz and RAM?ThanksRichard

Loadsaquestions - I'll do me best...I don't have Lago terrain mesh, and the package comes as default with a newer version of Visual Flight's mesh scenery (which seems ok to me). You can disable that in the scenery library - so you'll have to suck it and see.The delay is when you get the loading splash screen before the flight begins (ie, when you press Fly Now). It's a bit longer than default scenery, maybe seconds.That probably relates to your other question. My PC is now not the high-flyer it was 2 years ago - although I've upgraded the video card and ram.My spec:Pentium III at 866MHz512 MB PC133 RAMGeforce 4 ti 4200 128MbWindows XPBut the stutters aren't really that bad, and with a faster processor and quicker system RAM - it probably would be un-noticeable.I know it's

Guest EGLD

Richard,Yes, its compatible with Lago. I have both products installed and working fineIt now takes a couple of minutes to start FS2002, much longer, but its a one time thing (unless you change airports). I set my default flight as my local airfield, so i dont have to change airports once FS2002 has loaded.I dont get any suttering when changing views, but if you slew to another location, you have to wait a while for the textures to sharpen. Looking around is okay, once the nearby textures have loaded.Also, night textues switch to the default MS ones by default. The fast loading returns when running at night toobest of luck