Sign in to follow this  
Guest Boaz

Shut down problems...???

Guest Boaz

Hi there!Well I just wanted to know if any of you knew what my PC is suffering from?Well my PC runs for a while and then totally shuts down! Sometimes it then automatically turns on again and sometimes off after that?!Sometimes it will shut down upon starting of the PC...!It doesn't only do this when I am using the CPU on 100%, no it did this file I only had Outlook open!At rare times it turns itself on again?!The first strange thing that happened was when I was sitting editing my AI flightplans, when the PC suddenly went into hibernation (I have XP)and I was supprised but worried, it then began to sometimes go on stby, sometimes shut down and one night I woke up 4 times because the PC turned it self on again?!I then tried to read the various help articles included in XP PRO, also visit the Microsoft to see if there was some kind of power switch or setting I needed to fundle with, but there was NO subject that covered what I was experiencing!I went tried everything, I looked at the various troubleshoot section on the websites of my motherboard and tower to see if there was anything there, but still no?!I tried to read the help and have tried several power settings, then I arrange the settings of "When I push the powerbutton on my computer" to ask me what to do as did I with the "When I push the sleep button" to the above mentioned option, then suddenly in FS2002 it exited and the shut down/hibernate/stby window apeared, I pressed cancel, and continued with FS2002, it then continued sometimes with a delay of only 20 seconds?!Then it turned off!I then set the above mentioned settings to: Do notihing and the PC didn't shut off for two days until today???It shut down 10, 30 to 5 minutes after the PC was on???Now it hasn't turned off (knock on wood) but before I turned it on again I had to push the powerbutton like 4 timed to get it to turn on?!Well what I am suspecting is, either my cooler is broke, my motherboard is broke, my powerbutton is broke, my electricity provider in the cabinet is broke, my windows broke, my cooler needs more paste or ???I really don't know what to do so I turn to you as a last resort :)I hope anyone out there knows or has an idea on what's wrong :-(Spec's:System: Windows XP PRO (ENG)MOtherboard: SY-K7V SOYOCooler: Noise Control Silverado (With paste!)CPU: AMD 1900+ XP not overclockedGraphics: Nvidia GeForce 2 64MB DDR TItower: Antec SOHO with 400w power supplierHDD: IBM 7700RPM 60GBhmm cd rom and burner is irrelevant I think...Any help is greately appreciated!!!Boaz...

Hi Boaz,I have two of the Soyo Dragon+ MOBOs. One thing these MOBOs have problems with is too much RAM!!! One of the MOBOs would operate with 768MB (3x256MB) but was unstable. The other was completely unstable with the three sticks of memory loaded. Removing one stick, total now 512MB, both units are completely stable.Another thing is the version of BIOS you may have. On my computer, I am running the kvxa2ba2 version. My wife's computer has the kvxa2ba3 version. Soyo's latest is kvxa2ba5 and they had a version ba4, but it was itself unstable and they withdrew it.Lastly, check your computer CPU heat loads with the BIOS page. Hopefully, you are below 55C. You have a good fan system and powersupply.Let me know if any of this fixes your problem.

Boaz,I'd first look into the BIOS as mentioned, looking for a temperature fail-safe. Most motherboards today have this safety feature so that if the AMD's processor fan fails, it won't cook itself to death.In turn, open the chassis and make sure the processor fan is working! Did you place the heatsink onto the processor yourself? Did you use thermal-grease, a thermal 'sticky-pad', or anything at all? Do you have some type of 'monitor' program that came with the motherboard that can monitor the temperature for you in XP? If so, what is the temperature of the processor at idle from the moment you start it up. The temp should rise and flatten out at a particular temp (ie. 41c). If the temp slowly rises to the point where the unit powers off, you may have found your problem.Good luck,

Guest Boaz

Thanks for the replies guys!Well I have only one set of RAM blocks, and that one is "only" 512mb DDR, but I have used my PC since April or so, so a problem with RAM's showing now would be strange...I have checked the BIOS at restart for the temp, at it was at about 35-40 degrees C, so I don't think it's over heating, but then again it didn't shut down!My mother board will shut down the PC if an overheat occurs, so that was my main theory, but shut downs also occured after an off period of 12-18 hours and then it just shut down?! Today there hasn't been any shut downs as there wasn't any on Thursday either! But this morning phew it shut down 6 times, then suddenly it stayed on for 12 hours now?!Hmm I don't know what's wrong, also I don't get any errors or anything just shut down, also why has it gone to hibernation and stby in the past?!A guy on another site said that he had a very similar problem where it also turned on all of a sudden, and he said that it was his motherboard! But HEY this is SOYO!! They are supposed to be the best!Any other thoughts on what I need to look for in the BIOS or other settings?!Also I have a Noise Control "Silverado" cooler, it has thermal plates AND paste applied but maybe it needs more I don't know, but if it's overheat then why has it also turned it self on at times?! That is the scariest part, that night I woke up 4 times because of it!My PC is becomming HAL if you ask me! :)Boaz...

Power Supply.Same problem, totally not the same system.Took it in to the shop they gave it the COMPLETE going over, worked like a charm, for them. Never shutdown.Brought it home plugged her in, shutdown, in like secs.Unplugged, connected to a totally different wall outlet. Shutdown.Took it BACK in and changed the power supply, AND they found that my CPU heatsink/fan was NOT touching my chip, so they changed that too, comp has been on since Friday, no problems.So to test .Unplugged your comp power supply and plug it into a different power outlet(try an outlet that is on a different circuit). Also change the power bar, or dont use one(for this short test) If the comp still shuts down.New power supply.P.S They still say there is nothing wrong with my old power supply!!.Getting a new computer shop!.If it were a chip overheat, you would get the beep warnings prior to it shutting down.

Guest Boaz

Hi there!Thanks for the thoughts!I have also suspected the power to be the root to my problems!So you think I should change the plug and try it in another plug?Yeah I have heard those three beeps before when we put my PC together there was a switch that came with the cooler that let you manually change the RPM of the fan, my MOBO simply shut down because it didn't have full control over the cooler, and that was three beeps!So we can rule out overheat!Maybe power, or maybe MOBO?!Then why hibernate and standby then?!Boaz...

I had this problem...thou totally different equipment. Changed the powersupply to a new 350 watt sparkel, from a 3 year old 230 watt enlight.No more problem.Had a similar problem about three computers ago, fixed it with an update to the drivers on the modem. Bet you can guess how many other things I tried first on that one! LOLGL, Bob B

Good thought on power supply. A good way to test if that's part of your problem would be to install a program like Motherboard Monitor, configure it, and start the logging feature. Set it to log to a text or HTML file every 5 seconds, then start using the system normally. With the OS idle, note the voltages, temp's, etc., and use these as a benchmark. If the system locks up or reboots, get back into the OS and look at the log file. Look at the last entries before the lockup and compare to the idle settings. Generally speaking the voltages should be +-5% of the rated voltage.I had a similar problem with my last Iwill motherboard and after jumping from an Antec 300w to an Antec 400w, all of my problems disappeared.Good luck,

Nah dont bother with all that program crap. Besides if your computer is shutting down on you, it could take you awhile to download and install that program, meantime doing god knows what to your computer with the power outages all the time!!!!!!!Change your power source, if u have a different power cord for your comp use that too. Still shutdowns. New Power supply.AS for the hibernate, and stuff, could be shorts. Just enough of a power loss too screw your system up like that. Actually did that once for me as well. Oh and i forgot to mention that my old power supply was 230watts, new one is 300watts. Kind of a coincedence!shooterman.

LOL, shooterman has money rolling out of his pockets this time of year! Pass some this way!:-yellow1I disagree, takes a few minutes to install, and will prove the $65-$100 on a good power supply will be money well spent.The point is, if you have an old power suppy, no-name, etc. and have the money to spend, you should do it. If you want to prove that power is a problem, do what I suggest.Good luck and Happy Holidays,