Sign in to follow this  

Twin monitor advice please !!!!!

"Hello",Just got another monitor & would like advice please.Is this possible? I would like to fly with VC on main monitor & spot view on 2nd monitor. Would I lose a lot of performance ?Would some kind person (with time to spare)give me clear instructions on which program to use & how to set up/dock the views etc. Thank you.System specs.....Athlon 2100+XP Pro+SP11gig ramAsus Ti4600 (30.82 but downloading 40.72 now)Sony Trinitron 21" (main monitor)19" (2nd monitor)Thanks again.Rob

Hi Rob,Best advice is try it and see. Problem is that if you use multiple monitors for views FS will run at the speed of the slowest card/monitor combination - or it always has for me :-) I find the second monitor great for parts of the panel, FSNav etc but not for views.As far as how to do it is concerned, bring up the second view window in spot view, right click on it, choose undock window and drag it across to the second monitor.Hope this helps,All the best,John

http://www.jdtllc.com/images/RCbeta.jpg

There are a number of ways to hook up multiple monitors, depending on what you want to do... but the key thing here is *yes*, having a 2nd 3D view on your extra monitor will, based on what I've read in multiple places, kill your framerate on both screens. A better use of the 2nd monitor is to put "panel" things on it - GPS, radios, instrument panel, etc. These do not impact the 1st monitor's throughput nearly as much, since these are all 2D display objects. I plan on doing this using an old PCI Stealth64 SVGA card that I have laying around, once I can find a 14" or smaller SVGA panel display.For multiple out-the-window views, it's better to have a 2nd computer running a second copy of FS, linked to the 1st with, um, I think it's called WideFS. But *then* you have the issue of keeping both copies of FS perfectly synchronised in terms of scenery databases, extra installed aircraft, etc.This is a good topic for the Home Cockpit forum. You might try looking over there.Dave BlevinsKRHV

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

RobIf you run two fs2002 views on one computer using two monitors the framerate will be so bad as to make flying nearly impossible (and definately no fun). You can however run fs on one monitor and things like tha radio stack, throttle quadrant, GPS, etc on the second monitor with no drop in framerate. If you want to run two views of fs you need two computers, one for each monitor. This works well. You can find all the info and software you need here http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html. If you run into any problems post in this forum for help.David

Hi,Forget about using 2 external views in the same computer....it's really bad, maybe with the new matrox card, but not sure.About Panels: you can run additional panels in the second monitor without major hit on frame-rate, but performance isn't the same. I tested some turns with panels in the second monitor and it wasn't so smooth as only the main view, really small difference, but I noticed that.Now I'm running project magenta in the second computer with 2 monitors...it was my choice.I hope this helps,Ulisses

"Thank you all for the excellent advice".I tried using cockpit view in one & spot in the other & FS is sooo sloooow it`s not flyable, BUT tried parts of cockpit, radio, GPS, etc but no views in 2nd monitor, & it works great.Thanks again for your help.See you up there,Rob

The best way to achieve your goal is to network a couple of machines together. Project Magenta has some good software that makes this fairly straightforward. I havn't used it myself, but that is the way to go.