Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Deleting windows xp from a pc and installing windows 98

I like windows 98 much better than windows xp, is this possable?Thanks

Hi,Much as I liked W98 I am now a solid dyed in the wool XP convert. I enjoy its rock solid stability and relative user friendliness and, as far as I am concerned, I have noted no performance disadvantages from having changed o/s.Mike

Sure. Just boot the PC from a Win98 bootdisk which has support for your CD drive, format the HDD, and then install Win98.Trip

Do you really want to do this? Is it FS speed that's making you think that this is a good idea? I have found XP to be a dream with it's greatly enhanced memory management- when I halt an application all of the memory assigned to it is released (for FS :) ) immediately. Good luck, which ever way you go with this,Bruce.

Guest flightpro08

Guest jase439

If you previously upgraded from Windows 98 to XP, you should have an option in your Add/Remove Programs to uninstall Windows XP and return to your original Windows 98 configuration.If this was not an upgrade, then you'd best scrub the drive with a reformat and do a full reinstall of WinDOS, er Windows 98 :)J

The reason I am considering this is some of my favorite fs add-ons will not work with my new pc, one of them is an EMB 120 Brasilia panel by Bill Grabowski, it will not work with this new pc. I' ve tried to use the panel with fs98, fs2000 and fs2002, won't work in any of them, works fine on my old pc with windows 98.If anyone is familiar with this problem I would appreciate any advise.Thanks

I have Bill's EMB panel working OK in XP. I've had it for a while, and can't recall anything that I had to do special.It may not be XP at all that's your concern here, as you say a new computer, so I assume new hardware too. Replacing XP with 98 for one panel is rather drastic- but especially so if it isn't the OS anyway.I'd research this issue really carefully before doing anything you might regret later, just my advice here. I assume we are talking about the same EMB panel buy Bill.Bruce.

After two years of constant freeze-ups, lock-ups, blue screens of death and frequent re-installations, the switch to XP was a welcome relief. I can't imagine ever going back to that dreadful operating system (98 SE and 98 ME). I am still saddled with it at work and I wish I had a dime every time our Novell mail program froze the OS. I'd be rich. I've had XP freeze on me twice in six months - both times related to evil internet conflicts from pop-ups and other nasty little programs. Never has it frozen on me in the middle of an application. The aps have very occassionally quit on it - but that seems limited to FS2002 and improperly installed add-ons (my fault).I have had no software conflicts with XP, and only one hardware one. Bill's ERJ panel works flawlessly in XP for me. Not sure what's going on there for you. But I don't think it's 98. I'd do some rooting around with your configurations and settings before giving up on XP. You'd have to drag my copy from me kicking and screaming (I scream a lot at work!).Colin

I posted this on the AVSIM & Flightsim.com Forums. Not a bleat from AVSIM but at least 10 flame messages on FS.com:Problems with FS2002FS2002 and Windows XP Pro: I have sucessfully used Windows ME for 3 years with FS2002 with hardly a problem. Since installing XP Pro, the following occurs: 1) Sudden termination of FS2002 2) Termination of all glass gauges after 5 minutes of flight 4) Gradual slowdown of the FS over an hour, needing a reboot 5) When switching aircraft, the panel of the previous aircraft stays put. 6) FSNavigator becomes fussy, and will not slow the aircraft down on Final, nor will it allow you to take over manual control by disabling the Autopilot. Sometimes, even though the AP is turned off, the IAS light stays on.Other problems also occur such as violent course changes, and ground impact! Can this all be due to XP Pro? I think not as there are many satisfied users. I have since installed FS2002 on to another computer with Windows 98 and have had no further trouble (apart from the huge job of reinstalling all the aircraft and scenery). I am writing this to let potential Windows XP buyers know there may be problems. Regular other Forum Posts also complain of problems, although we are lonely complainers. Perhaps the hardware in this particular Dell has problems. I had a Computer Science Graduate (on Faculty of California State University) go through the computer with a fine tooth comb, and nothing came up. Also, when I installed Service Pack I, the Sim became inoperable. The worst Bug is no.1, when just as you are going into Final, the Sim bleats, shuts down FS2002 in a flash, and asks for you to send an error message to Microsoft.In total, I have sent them over 30 messages.Let them figure it out; I'm back in Windows 98. (Computer: Dell P3 1.5GHz, 512 RAM, 120 Western Digital HD,Geoforce 3 Video card with 64 K ) Vrystaat!

You may also want to consider going to a dual-boot platform. If you have sufficient drive space, partition your drive as you desire then install 98 first on the primary partition. Then when installing XP chose the option of installing a new copy of XP rather than upgrading. Select the other partition for the XP install. This might be a bit of a bummer for FS, however, as you would probably need to have duplicate aircraft and addon installs for each OS. You could, in theory, install FS on both OS's to the same directory but I would imagine this either flat out wouldn't work or would give you fits in one of the OS's.Each time you boot there will be a brief text menu where you can select whether you boot into XP or 98. It boot to XP by default after a maximum of 30 sec if no selection is made (this is configurable too). You do have to load all applications onto BOTH OS's. This gives you the best of both worlds - as long as you have the drive space.

Here's the deal, I just bought a new pc with xp installed, my old pc has 98 on it, i don't have a copy of 98 except for the restore disk that came with the old pc.Is it possible to load 98 onto the new pc using the restore cd from my old pc?Thanks

Guest Stephan

Yes. link new HD to old HD and mirror the partition with Win98 on it or: buy Win98 if it's not on your CD.Where's the Microsoft Windows support forum???GreetingsS

I appreciate your help but I don't understand what you mean.98 is on the restore cd. I do not no how to clear xp off the new pc and install 98 from the restore cd.