Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Deleting windows xp from a pc and installing windows 98

You say a "restore CD". This sounds like a Compaq or Hp, a propietary brand. If so- it's very likely that the restore cd will only act to restore your PC to what it believes it should be- which will be supporting hardware in your old PC. Not good! I would endorse a previous post here, do a dual-boot. XP can be installed on any partition, 98 needs to go onto C:. But, you no doubt have XP on C: already. So- go buy Partition Magic, partition your HD (if you still have not done so), cteate a second primary partition, and install 98 to that. Then install Boot Magic. This will let you select either XP or 98. Proceed with caution.However, as I said above, be prepared for the fact that '98 will not work too well if installed from a restore cd. Those propietary manufacturers are't stupid, this isn't a stand-alone Win98 CD, if I had to guess.Last option is to go buy a copy of MS Win 98 (if you can still purchase it). One more time, if you were to erase XP (format) and try to install 98 onto C: (and not install Boot Magic, or partition your HD), you might have a PC that won't work well at all. At least with the multi-boot, if 98 doesn't work, you can still go back to XP, and you're no worse than you are now.Bruce.