Sign in to follow this  

Hardware upgrade nightmare - desperate for help

Happy New Year to all,I decided to give myself a gift for Christmas and upgraded my PC from the components listed underneath to new ones:I bought:Mobo - ASUS A7N8X deluxeAthlon XP 2700+2 PC3200 256MB DDR sticksNew 400W power supply.I installed it all following instructions, put my GF3 into it, assembled and plugged all fans (into proper sockets).Symptoms are: PC powers up for 3-4 seconds then goes off.No indications on the monitor whatsoever - black screen.I am so frustrated as I have tried almost everything - I have changed my supply to the old 250W one, I tried other AGP video cards, I tried sticking my memory sticks into alternative slots, reset BIOS jumpers on the mobo - nothing works.I will be grateful for your help.DomMy old system specs:AMD Athlon 1.2GhzASUS A7V133 200Mhz512MB SDRAMnVidia GF3 Ti200 (running on 40.72)Sony Trinitron 19'CH Yoke USB + CH Pro Pedals http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Dom,I'm running that mobo, too. Are you getting any POST beeps? Normally, if the video card isn't plugged in, you'd get three rapid beeps (or that might be RAM not present...but it should "yell" at you). I'm not sure if you're using the voice POST on the mobo...it should tell you what's wrong in plain english.If I had to guess, it sounds to me like your CPU fan isn't plugged in the proper sensing plug (I think there are two of them) or the speed of the fan is too low. If your fan is a variable speed one (like the Volcano 9's), the POST will tell you that your CPU fan has failed. Happens to me everytime I start up. But, you can disable the CPU fan thing so it doesn't turn you off.Hope some of this helps. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. I've built quite a few computers and hopefully I can help you get this one up.Chris

I would remove all but the basic items to try and troubleshoot the problem. The basic system consists of graphics, on-board or card, a disk drive, floppy and/or hardrive, mouse, keyboard. Remove all cable at the MOBO, except for the ones to the hardrive (ensure it is installed correctly, pin 1 to pin 1). If it still will not boot, it is possible you have a short to your case causing problems. It is also possible one of your fans, especially CPU fan, is not providing the sensing information to the MOBO, which shuts down the system for safety reasons.If you think you have a case short, remove the MOBO, place on an insulated surface, attach the minimum above, and try again. If this fails, you might have a fried CPU or MOBO. I would try getting the vendor to provide an RMA, explain to them what steps you have taken. A good vendor will have you send in the MOBO, RAM, CPU w/fan, test all and put it together. You may have to pay for shipping/testing, but if they guarantee it will work assembled, then it is a good deal. If they find a bad component(s) and replace/test them, then it is also a good deal.Visit www.asus.com.tw , read anything about troubleshooting and FAQs on your board. Also visit alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus - usually have some answers to questions.Hope I have helped!

Very informative replies.Thank you very much indeed.I have tried to fire it up in all configurations including basic setup with just the harddrive on, but no change.It might be the short circuit thing of the tower. I will try to get it out of there and try again.My fan is plugged into proper socket and is the type supplied with the processor.I will update you on the progressThanks againDomMy system specs:AMD Athlon 1.2GhzASUS A7V133 200Mhz512MB SDRAMnVidia GF3 Ti200 (running on 40.72)Sony Trinitron 19'CH Yoke USB + CH Pro Pedals http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Guest Wichita

Make sure you don't have any of the standoffs for the mobo in places that could come in contact with the printed circuits--that will definitely cause a short.Only have standoffs where you have a hole in the mobo for a screw. Sound ridiculous but people have put them in places where there is no screw hole.David

Little update:I have put everything into different case and it fired up eventually.The only remaining problem I see is my processor temperature oscillates around 97 degrees Celsius.I have attached factory supplied heatsink and fan onto it.Any clues?Thank you for your support guys.DomMy system specs:AMD Athlon 1.2GhzASUS A7V133 200Mhz512MB SDRAMnVidia GF3 Ti200 (running on 40.72)Sony Trinitron 19'CH Yoke USB + CH Pro Pedals http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

I would certainly be cautious about running the CPU at that 97degC (206.6degF). I would ensure that the heat sink and fan assembly is properly installed with heat sink gel coupling between the heatsink and CPU.Also, I seem to remember that the ASUS temp monitor was reading incorrectly but I don't remember to what extent. I would think a loaded temperature of approx 57degC would be where the max should be!Visit ASUS, AMD - www.amd.com, and the ASUS new group that I referenced above to seek answers to temperature.

Last grim update.I had it closely inspected and it appears that during assembly by 'professional' personnel they crashed my processor with a heatsink. It's gone.Time to get another one and change service guys.Thanks for your helpMy system specs:AMD Athlon 1.2GhzASUS A7V133 200Mhz512MB SDRAMnVidia GF3 Ti200 (running on 40.72)Sony Trinitron 19'CH Yoke USB + CH Pro Pedals http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Guest Wichita

>Last grim update. >>I had it closely inspected and it appears that during >assembly by 'professional' personnel they crashed my >processor with a heatsink. It's gone. >Time to get another one and change service guys. >>Thanks for your help >>>>My system specs: >AMD Athlon 1.2Ghz >ASUS A7V133 200Mhz >512MB SDRAM >nVidia GF3 Ti200 (running on 40.72) >Sony Trinitron 19' >CH Yoke USB + CH Pro Pedals >> http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpgYeah...make sure the new one is installed with thermal grease on the CPU die--Artic Silver works fine for me. With the grease and a good HS fan your CPU should run at around 45-48C at idle,web surfing etc. Running FS02 you'll see somewhere in the 52-58 range. Those temps are fine for an XP,the never exceed temp is 90C. David

I don't mean to bother you with my story for too long but there is a breakthrough worth mentioning.The guys, who installed the set before took it for close inspection and what they found was that the processor is in fact still good. It only has a 'scar' on one of the corners, yet by proper positioning of the radiator they made it to run stable for the last full day.Temperature oscillates in the range of 45-55 degrees now and is stable.What a relief.By the way, the retailer I got my processor from said to me that he can replace the processor for me if it's cracked no problem.In case you have similar grim experience make sure to see your retailer and they should be willing to replace one for you.Happy end of the story.Thanks again for your tremendous help.DomMy system specs:AMD Athlon 1.2GhzASUS A7V133 200Mhz512MB SDRAMnVidia GF3 Ti200 (running on 40.72)Sony Trinitron 19'CH Yoke USB + CH Pro Pedals http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Guest artl

>... what they found was that the processor is in >fact still good. It only has a 'scar' on one of the corners, >yet by proper positioning of the radiator they made it to >run stable for the last full day. >Temperature oscillates in the range of 45-55 degrees now and >is stable. ...The stock heat-sink that comes with AMD processors already has heat-conducting paste applied, and a protective tape over it.... which is supposed to be removed before attaching to the CPU. Wonder if your "professionals" originally forgot to remove the tape?Art.