Sign in to follow this  
brucek

New Video Card Question.

I have a P4 1.8G with 512M PC2100 DDR RAM, Win XP. I'm running a G3 Ti200/64M video card, and am wondering if a G4/128M card might give better frame rate results? If so, any suggestions of a card to go buy?Thanks,Bruce.

ASEL, Instrument.

KBJC, Colorado.

Guest ccgr

Your frames per second would improve with a newer video card. The real question is how much do you want to spend? ATI9700Pro is the best card out but well over $300. The best Nvidia card bang for the buck is the GeForce 4 Ti4200

Bruce - This article should be of some help. Paul OC'd both the GF3 Ti200 and the GF4 4400 but I think the bottom-line on the framerate comparison would be the same with both cards running at the default clock speeds. Also, I just temporarily replaced my Ti4200 with my old GF2 Ultra (I had to RMA the defective 4200) and the framerates are the same. (P4/2.5 and 512MB 40ns RDRAM). Strange results but it's just the CPU-intensive nature of FS2002. I'm going to run some framerate tests with the GF2 and then duplicate them when I get the GF4 back - but I'm betting that the GF2 will be just as fast (and the 2D rendering is MUCH better on the GF2).GF3 - GF4 Comparisonhttp://www.frontiernet.net/~pleatzaw/revie...%20vs%20GF4.htmDoug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 54TB disk storage, and other good stuff. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest DNelson

The additional on-board memory may help load textures faster. But, I've read that the Geforce 4 GPU isn't that different from the G3 - no quantum leaps. The Geforce FX, which should be appearing shortly, is supposedly a major advance beyond the G4. Of course, that means it will be at a premium price for a while. FS2002 won't be able to take advantage of the new Geforce FX features, but future versions might.Dan

Bruce: I think it will make a frame rate difference ONLY at the high resolution, high anti-aliasing settings, like 1600X1200 and 4AA. In other words, for more frames per second, you gotta have a faster CPU. For really high quality visuals at the same frame rate, go with a new video card.

"Hi Bruce",I had a Ti4200 128Mb, then went up to a Ti4600, but didn`t really see that much difference, very disappointing really.Last week (after great advice on these forums), I went ahead & got a 9700Pro. I know everyone says that FS2002 is cpu dependent, but this made a terrific difference, all sliders now maxed, the fps are better, but the quality is much, much better, more realistic.The best way is to re-format your hard drive & start fresh, but don`t use the cd drivers supplied, get the new Catalyst 3 + Control Panel & DirectX9.The only fault is the price of the card !!!!!!!!!Athlon XP2100+Jetway V333DA2x512 PC2700 (333DDR)Hercules 3D Prophet 9700 PRO (Catalyst3 DriversControl Pnl)WinXP Pro+SP1DirectX9Hope this helps !!!!Rob

Hi Rob,"The only fault is the price of the card !!!!!!!!!"I hear you :)Thanks.Bruce.

ASEL, Instrument.

KBJC, Colorado.

Good to hear Robbie; All too often folks ask for advice and then we never hear what they did or how they made out.