Sign in to follow this  
Guest jaapverduijn

Board, processor and memory

Guest jaapverduijn

Greetings all!I'll have my rig upgraded from its present ancient Celeron 1000; I'm considerng an Aopen AX4PE motherboard, a P4 2533Mhz processor, and 512 Mb Samsung DDR memory. Are there any reasons why I should be dissuaded from upgrading with these particular items?Thanks,Jaap Verduijn.

Guest ccgr

Why Aopen? I highly recommend going with name brand motherboard. That does affect over all performance. A good value performing motherboard is MSI. Check them out!

Guest FPSFREAK

With that CPU, why not run RDRAM and see more speed than even DDDR. Dual Channel is catching up but if you ask around, Rambus is still the speed king when teamed w an Intel CPU. I paid $227 for 512 Megs of Samsung 32ns PC1066.

Guest ccgr

DDR is much cheaper though

Guest FPSFREAK

Your right if you consider $60 a big difference when your spending the amount of money he's talking about. I agree the board may not be the best choice but to reccommend DDR for a P4 is like pointing an old F70/14 Bias tire on a Viper. Real big waste of power. Unless your going to run a new Dual Channel DDR board your really throwing money out the window and wasting performance. On the other hand if money is tight than there may be nothing wrong with his choice. I stated what I stated as he didnt mention if there was a budget involved. I also made that statement in part becuase of the system builders I see offering supposed high end or gaming systems that are choked to death by running Non Dual Channel DDR. But than again I geuss performance is based in part by what yor upgrading from. If your looking for to wring everything the P4 is capable of out of the CPU than nothing but 1066 RAMBUS will do. Lagging just behind would be Dual Channel DDR and if your on a tight budget, than by all means regular DDR is fine. Hope this cleared it up.Bobby

Guest jaapverduijn

Greetings all!Thanks for your reactions, much appreciated!The reason I never considered rambus is that it's just about unknown in the computershops in my provincial town here in the Netherlands. None of them sell it, and only one assistant had ever heard of it. "Old," he said, "and obsolete". Same lack of knowledge and availablity when it comes to brand names. I asked for Corsair memory, and the shop assistants looked at me with empty eyes. "Never heard of, sir."Then price came in. Right now I'm not on a really tight budget, but there ar many other thngs in and around the house that need to be bought, fixed, repaired, renewed... you know how it is, I guess!So I finally went for a relatively cheap upgrade, that the computershop will install for me tomorrow:1 Dimm PC333 512MB DDR Brand/Third1 MB S478 ASUS P4B533 Pentium 4 +SB1 CPU S478 Intel P4 2.4 Box 512kb 533FSB.It will cost me 472 euro (would be just abut the same in US dollars), including 19% sales tax. I'll take the computer to the shop tomorrow morning, have a cup of coffee somewhere in town, then return to the shop and collect the computer with the newly installed upgrade. Why don't I order via internet and do al these things myself? Well, I can't... not in a more or less effective way. Not only because I know too little, but also because my hands don't always do what I want them to do. My neurologically challenged finger movements cannot be trusted with the insides of modern day equipment... I've already problems enough producing the right number of mouse clicks, my bloody fingers having a will of their own (grin)!Well, it may not be the best upgrade, but it sure will be an improvement from my Celeron 1000 and "S" memory!Jaap Verduijn.