Sign in to follow this  
Guest WorkingStiff

What's Eating my Free Space? A Windows XP Question.....

Guest WorkingStiff

Here's the scenario. My current computer is of a 1.2 gHz processor with a 40 GB hard running under Windows XP. Although its relatively low-end by today's standards it works well for me because I tend to keep it optimized; which means cleaning my hard drive regularly.Recently I've been noticing a relatively puzzling problem; which I'm sure may appear a bit obsessive to others....the free space on my C drive has suddenly dropped from 2.61 GB to 2.35 GB free.What is puzzling is that my C:drive - my boot drive - is a 5 GB partition that only contains Windows XP and the "Shared" files that some software like Norton Antivirus installs there. I never install any other software there yet over time the free space keeps decreasing.Windows Update is turned off and I haven't downloaded any updates in a while; I use AdSubtract Pro which allows me to erase my browser cache and any temporary files and cookies. I also run Disk Cleanup and delete Temporary Internet files and all System Restore points except the current one; and Diskeeper daily to keep my drives defragmented.As part of my cleaning routine I regularly delete files that are found with the following search criteria:*.bak, *.tmp, ~*.* - deletes all those stray files*.chk - deletes all the fragmented filesprefetch - deletes the files in the Windows XP Prefetch foldertemp - deletes all those orphan files and folders.After all this the reported free space is still decreasing. Now a .26 GB decrease may not be a big deal to most people but to me it means there roughly 270 MB of disk space somehow being wasted.Does anyone know what might be causing this problem? Is it simply that the routine that reports Free Space is incorrect? Could it be that Symantec LiveUpdate is causing the problem even though I always delete all Norton Antivirus updates except the current one?Appreciate your thoughts :-)

Guest ccgr

check your windows swap file size..you can set it to be static instead of dymanic but ti may affect your stability

Guest georgi55

Open COntrol Panel, select Power and go to Hiberinate tab, if it's enabledand you don't use it (weakign up from hib. in XP takes longer than a boot...doh)uncheck and reboot, you should gain some space back.