Sign in to follow this  

What is GMax View Distance Maximum

How can I get the GMax "View Distance" greater than 60000 meters?I have been successfully working with GMax for quite a while. During the export phase I have found that I have not been able to exceed a "view distance" of around 60000 meters--approximately 37 miles.I am presently working on a project that covers as much as a 20 mile radius and I need to be able to see it from well beyond that distance--preferably from 60 miles or more.The project is to graphically represent the inbound and outbound traffic patterns surrounding KATL--the flight paths which ATC uses to move aircraft safely in and out of the congested KATL area.I have been able to create these, but so far, I can't get it where you can fly outside of the immediate area and still be able to see the graphics. As soon as the aircraft goes beyond the 60000 meter perimeter, the graphics disappear. And that is just not quite far enough out to be able to view the entire graphic.Any ideas how to overcome that will be sincerely appreciated!Happy Flying!Bill MolonyAtlanta GA USAUnder the 27L Approach to KATL--the busiest airport in the world :)

Guest freequest

sorry i cant help you there but those pics look cool :) hope someone can help you if no one can maybe a GMAX related forum or newsgroup may be able to help you.

Guest Barney1

What if that limit is being imposed by the engine within the sim? If I'm not mistaken, FS2002 for instance had a limit of around 10 miles.

I don't think so because I can build objects with Airport for Windows and also with EOD--Easy Object Designer--and neither of these have any limits on view distance that I am aware of.Happy Flying!Bill MolonyAtlanta GA USAUnder the 27L Approach to KATL--the busiest airport in the world :)

I have already searched the forums at www.gmaxsupport.com and, although view distance was discussed, no one there had any answers to the limit either.Happy Flying!Bill MolonyAtlanta GA USAUnder the 27L Approach to KATL--the busiest airport in the world :)

Hi Bill,I think it is built into the makebgl program - GMAX aircraft lose their texturing at 4000 ft, for example, and there seems to be nothing I can do to change that either. I think you'll have to make those in a scenery program where you can control that variable.Hope this helps,-- Tom GibsonCalifornia Classic Propliners: http://www.calclassic.com/Cal Classic Alco Page: http://www.calclassic.com/alco/Freeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com/ San Diego Model RR Museum: http://www.sdmodelrailroadm.com/Drop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

I appreciate the responses but none so far seems to answer the question. I am including a couple of screen prints to give you a better idea of what I am trying to do and the problem I have run into with it.The first is the view from about 5 nm west of KATL. It shows only a VERY small percentage of the entire scenery graphic. That is the final ILS approach area into 26R and 27L. You can also see the beginning of the departure climbs out of 26L and 27R.The second image is a view from the south that shows even more of the overall view. The yellow rings represent respectively the 10 and 20 nm radius around KATL that is normally seen on ATC radar screens. Of the 4 sets of graphic lines you see, the blue lines are the approach patterns ATC normally use to track aircraft into 26R. The light green lines are the normal departure tracks out of 26L. You can also see portions of the same tracks for the south runways. I was not able to show you the entire view because I am as far out and zoomed as far out as I can. If I backed up any further the entire graphic goes poof--totally disappears.The third image is a top down view of the entire graphic. But again, I could not show you the entire image in one single screen print. This image was actually produced by combining 4 separate screen prints that are a bit overlapped. If I try to go any higher or zoom out any more, again the entire graphic disappears.In further experimentation I find that although the GMax export seems to accept up to but no more than about 60000 meters, in reality the image disappears at about 10000 meters--not even 37 nm but rather at a little over 10 nm.VERY frustrating! It seems rather silly to put such an abitrary limit on the view distance!I did visit the www.gmaxsupport.com and searched the forum but found no answers there either.If ANYONE can come up with a way around this limit, I would certainly appreciate it.Happy Flying!Bill MolonyAtlanta GA USAUnder the 27L Approach to KATL--the busiest airport in the world :)