Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Windows XP Pro Backup.

Is there any way to get the backup function (Right click disk ID, choose backup)to export to a CDRW rather than to a tape backup? I assume that this is a limitation of MSWINXP Mr. Gates should do something about if I am reading this correctly.Thanks:RTH

Guest ccgr

a CDRW won't be able to back up an entire drive unless there's a way to span discs. That would way too complex for a "free" backup program. If you want to backup to a CDRW look into a cheap program called Second Copy. There is a trial version. Good luck!

Guest FPSFREAK

Does your Burning software allow you the function to drag and drop files directly to a CD-R or CD-RW?. I run Nero exclusively and it allows for both functions along with the ability to burn images I create w Drive Image Pro 2002.I don't know why yours doesnt show it but when I click on my send to it shows CD-RW as the last option in the list. This was setup by default when the OS was installed.Also if you right click on the HD and click properties you will see a tab that lists backup. By running the wizard you can back up the drive to your cdrw by choosing the browse method and selecting your cdrw as the choice of medium.Bobby

Bobby:I am trying the trial version of Nero, Drive Image, and several others now. (I believe the only one available in Drive Image is Drive Image 7 now. I may have the wrong program in mind. Several have similar names.)Unfortunately, all of these are pretty expensive. Two of them as you are useing would be in excess of $100 now. These programs span for CDRW ok,especially Nero. Some of the programs give an error message saying they are not compatible with XP.When I click on my HD>properties>backup, all I show are my two floppy drives (one is LS120, which was a mistake). When I browse to my CDRW, it puts my drive letter ("F:") into the window choices, but when I try to copy, I get my error message telling me the path name is in error. (It really never enters "CDRW", only the drive letter.I strongly suspect that the reason you are able to access your CDRW through windows for spanning is thanks to an added driver from one of the addon's but that is only speculation.Thanks for the help.RTH>Does your Burning software allow you the function to drag and>drop files directly to a CD-R or CD-RW?. I run Nero>exclusively and it allows for both functions along with the>ability to burn images I create w Drive Image Pro 2002.>>I don't know why yours doesnt show it but when I click on my>send to it shows CD-RW as the last option in the list. This>was setup by default when the OS was installed.>>Also if you right click on the HD and click properties you>will see a tab that lists backup. By running the wizard you>can back up the drive to your cdrw by choosing the browse>method and selecting your cdrw as the choice of medium.>>Bobby

Well! So much for that idea. Nero gives me an error message that it is not compatible with WinXPPro.